This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login screen unresponsive but can actually login

On the login screen when I type my password the password box does not fill with ●●●●●●●● to show that something is being inputted. Also, I have no mouse cursor despite all the shaking in the world. I can still login if I enter my password.

This works correctly in 16.04.2 and 16.10. This also works correctly in 17.04 on my Dell XPS laptop.

The lock screen works correctly.

This is a fresh install of Kubuntu 17.04 and I've run all the updates.

I have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and GTX 970 graphics card.

I'd like to try and run multiple desktop environments but it's impossible to select one from the login screen. Using the tab guessing the correct number of presses to get to the DE selection hasn't proved successful.

Thanks

At the login screen try CTRL+ALT+F1 to get text only login prompt.

If successful, try to log in to a $ prompt. Then try; sudo startx

If you don't get your desktop then reset and reboot. It means your X session is messed up and you will need to repair it.

If you get to a graphic desktop you should be able to access accounts and passwords etc...

I don't know much about 17.x but I am sure you will find a solution. I just keep digging until I hit pay dirt.
    Last edited by Simon; May 18, 2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions Simon.

Logging in this way doesn't give me anything I couldn't already do. The problem is the unresponsive login screen; there is no mouse cursor and typing my password doesn't fill in the password box. But, typing the password and pressing enter does still log me in.

I've installed 17.04 twice on this machine and the problem is always the same.

Comment

Unplug your USB adapter and then plug it back in while on the login screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I've been running Linux Mint Cinnamon for awhile but back to 16.04 on the problem machine.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Unplug your USB adapter and then plug it back in while on the login screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thanks! Unplugging and plugging back in my mouse brought the login box back to life. Is there a permanent fix for this?

Comment

Working...
          X