This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume control not working

My volume control doesn't work. I can't change the volume up or down. I have the Linux version of Overload two and there doesn't seem to be a way to control the volume in the game. I need to be able to use the laptops slider but it doesn't work. Maybe it needs one or more packages? HP Pavilion Entertainment PC us DV6.

I wish I had the money to buy a new laptop, but I don't so I will have to deal with this one for now. I hate dealing with Intel chip sets. They aren't Linux friendly.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Are you saying that when you hoover your mouse over the speaker icon in the system tray and roll the middle wheel of your mouse the volume does not increase or decrease? Are you getting any sound out at all?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am guessing that the game itself has no obvious volume controls, and that (as sometimes happens in full-screen games) the keyboard buttons are not functioning within the game.

Intel chipsets are some of the best supported hardware in Linux, if not THE best supported. Intel doesn't do keyboard hardware (iirc), that is handled by HP.
      The issue here is more likely the game hijacking the controls, or the game has a bug (not providing volume controls or utilizing the system's hardware correctly ). I don't have the game, but a workaround may be to run the game as a maximized window.

Might be worth asking over on Steam if others are having similar problems
      Last edited by claydoh; May 18, 2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

GreyGeek was right about the sound icon. It was set to 100% I turned it down. The problem I have is when games do not have a sound option then I try to use the Laptop's slider but it is non functional. Some games will not let you use a maximized window and full screen doesn't allow access to the tray. Why doesn't the hardware volume slider above the keyboard work? Also the Intel graphics chip set is only running OpenGL 2.0 and it should be 3.2. I think the Kubuntu 16.04 installer missed some firmware or something. I have 17.04. Maybe I should wipe the HD and do a fresh install of 17.04. Do you guys know that Steam is still basing off of Ubuntu 14.04!

People keep posting on the Steam forums that Steam needs to update to the latest LTS version but Valve doesn't seem to care.

Finally I had to save my post to the clipboard, close the tab, open a new tab, navigate back to the post and then copy the post back then finally it let me add the reply. Your forums must have gotten a glitch that wouldn't clear by simply reloading the page or maybe Firefox version 53.0.2 64bit has one or more bugs.
        Last edited by steve7233; May 19, 2017, 12:30 AM.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Volume control not working

I'm running KDE Neon User Edition and Steam runs fine. (16.04).

You can control the volume by using your laptop's hot keys. When I hold down the Function key and press the > or < bracket the sound raises or lowers.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 19, 2017, 03:24 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X