This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble sharing files across network

I don’t understand samba and file sharing, but I have read several posts and a couple of how-tos. Perhaps I just need to reinstall, but before I do that I thought I might get some help here. Sorry for the long post, but I want to be clear.

My LAN: 1 DHCP DSL modem/router in building 1, 2 routers configured as access points in 2 separate buildings. One of those access points has a USB drive attached. That drive is configured in the fstab file and auto mounts. I would like to be able to share files across the network between computers, android devices, and USB drive.

One computer dual boots with Windows 10 and Kubuntu 17.04. The other primary computer is also Kubuntu 17.04. Of less importance is a Windows 7 computer and a couple of Linux boxes.
    #1Kub = #1 computer booted to Kubuntu 17.04
    #1Win = #1 computer booted to Win 10
    #2Kub = #2 Kubuntu 17.04

From instructions on this forum, I have installed and configured Samba Server Configuration Tool 1.2.63 (system-config-samba) with files to share with name and password. I have not done anything in Windows 10 to share a file. I don't know how.
    From fresh boots:
    #1 Kub can see but not authenticate (not accepted) shares on #2 Kub
    #2 Kub can see and authenticate shares on #1 Kub
    Android Device can see and authenticate shares on #1 Kub
    Android Device can see but not authenticate shares on #2 Kub
    #1 Win cannot see #2 Kub
    #2 Kub can see but doesn’t know how to authentication for Win10 shares

Run from #1 Kub :
    rob@Asus-Kubuntu:~$ smbtree
    Enter rob's password: *
    WORKGROUP
    *******\\VERNA-LATITUDE-D *************verna-Latitude-D430 server (Samba, Netrunner)
    *******\\RT-N66U-8060 *****************RT-N66U-8060
    ***************\\RT-N66U-8060\Storage *********Data_USB's Storage in WD 10EAVS External
    ***************\\RT-N66U-8060\VBox ************Data_USB's VBox in WD 10EAVS External
    ***************\\RT-N66U-8060\Users ***********Data_USB's Users in WD 10EAVS External
    ***************\\RT-N66U-8060\ipc$ ************IPC Service (RT-N66U-8060)
    *******\\ROB-KUBUNTU ******************rob-Kubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    *******\\EPSONF9C3AC ****
    ***************\\EPSONF9C3AC\FAXRECV **********EPSON
    ***************\\EPSONF9C3AC\USBSTORAGE *******EPSON
    ***************\\EPSONF9C3AC\IPC$ *************IPC Service
    *******\\ASUS-KUBUNTU *****************Asus-Kubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\HP_Officejet_Pro_8620 ***HP_Officejet_Pro_8620
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\HP_Officejet_Pro_8620_fax *******HP_Officejet_Pro_8620_fax
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\HP-Officejet-Pro-8620 ***HP Officejet Pro 8620 [5B8D35]
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\EPSON-WP-4530-Series ****EPSON WP-4530 Series
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\IPC$ ************IPC Service (Asus-Kubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\rob ************
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\Data_NTFS ******
    ***************\\ASUS-KUBUNTU\print$ **********Printer Drivers
    rob@Asus-Kubuntu:~$

Any suggestion to be able to share back and forth? smb.conf files look the same on both Kubuntu boxes.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

Found the problem. Printed out both /etc/samba/smb.conf files and checked them line by line. Found line "wins support = yes" commented out on #2 Kub. Removed the # and rebooted and now #2 Kub can be accessed.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

Comment

Thanks for posting the solution! (That's paying it forward for someone else!)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X