This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uppercase key sometimes not working

kubuntu 17.04. 4/5 days the shift key sometimes does not work. his issue is with only with kubuntu, not with pclinuxos or windows10. This happens within the same session. For example, I can not select more caracters by holding shift key, or I can not write brackets or question mark.
    and, it's curious in clementine [and in login screen] shift key works always.
    Thanks for help

duns

my keyboard logitech k120, italian
    Last edited by jduns; May 14, 2017, 08:30 AM. Reason: better explain

running xev and pressing shift left (when shift key is not working)
    Code:
    KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
      root 0x49d, subw 0x0, time 1033483, (61,-19), root:(724,41),
      state 0x1, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
      XFilterEvent returns: False
    and the code of xev when shift key is working:
    Code:
    KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x4600001,
       root 0x49d, subw 0x0, time 1860940, (-535,981), root:(113,1010),
       state 0x11, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
       XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
       XFilterEvent returns: False
    Last edited by jduns; May 14, 2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

shift key works correctly always as different user.

Comment

Originally posted by jduns View Post
        shift key works correctly always as different user.
        Then delete the ~/.kde directory (it's "hidden" under your home account) and logout, then log back in. Plasma will create a new ~/.kde directory. You will lose all your settings and will have to reconfigure your system tray and penal to suit yourself.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thank you, greekgeek! done, but not working

Comment

mmm... Then the problem doesn't appear to be KDE. What is your keyboard setting? System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboards --> Hardware tab. Mine is "Generic 101-key PC"
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

my also, even italian. but i think the problem is keyboard user settings, find where are stored

Comment

Originally posted by jduns View Post
                my also, even italian. but i think the problem is keyboard user settings, find where are stored
                There are several keyboard layouts on the hardware tab, based on the make & model of the PC., besides the Generic. Do you find your's there?

Comment

that settings are identical in duns and other user, so the problem is not there, i believe. that settings have always worked, until last 6/7 days.

Comment

Is the other user attaching remotely or using your box when you are not?

Comment

f.e. what about "khotkeysrc"? I delete it, and it is re-created, I empty it, and it is re-created identical. strange...

Comment

Since you say that your user account keyboard works OK why don't you copy khotkeysrc and kglobalshortcutsrc over to your ~/.config directory and overwrite your existing files?

Comment

other use i am myself

Comment

LOL!
                            Have you browsed /usr/share/X11/xkb/ ?

Comment

thank you. Done! But not working...

I don't know: compared by content with krusader the files "are identical", but it seems that system re-creates that two files at login (hour of creation is hour of login).
                              anyway probably the problem is not in that files.
                              Last edited by jduns; May 17, 2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X