This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Modle DV6 1030 US

Will this machine work or will it be missing firmware due to the known Linux kernel bug that causes some needed firmware not to be installed? This thought to have been fixed but some people and apparently this machine still have the problem. Yakaty Yak still has it on some machines like this one.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

It is old, and has always been a problem machine (even for Windows) but people have had success installing Ubuntu (Kubuntu? More than likely) in the past.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/5071...-hp-dv6-laptop
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      It is old, and has always been a problem machine (even for Windows) but people have had success installing Ubuntu (Kubuntu? More than likely) in the past.
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/5071...-hp-dv6-laptop
      I already know how to boot it. I wanted to know if it will install all the firm ware as yakaty yak, did not.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
        Will this machine work or will it be missing firmware due to the known Linux kernel bug that causes some needed firmware not to be installed? This thought to have been fixed but some people and apparently this machine still have the problem. Yakaty Yak still has it on some machines like this one.
        Link to the bug?

Comment

have you tried to boot to a live disc? that is the best way to find out.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
            I wanted to know before I try since I am going to wipe the HD first to make sure there is are no files that might messup the install. That way I garentee a clean install. Then if there are problems then we know it's bugs in the installer or the programs being used.
            Last edited by steve7233; May 19, 2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

I wanted to know before I try since I am going to wipe the HD first to make sure there is are no files that might messup the install. That way I garentee a clean install. Then if there are problems the we know it's bugs in the installed or the programs being used.
              Using a LiveUSB or LiveCD is how you determine how well that particular distro will work on your machine. Running it in the live mode does NOT change a single byte on your HD. Know, however, that how a distro runs on your machine in the live mode is no absolute guarantee that it will run similarly after it is installed, but it is a pretty good indicator.

One thing to watch for is that certain releases of the DV6 displayed inverted webcam videos.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                Using a LiveUSB or LiveCD is how you determine how well that particular distro will work on your machine. Running it in the live mode does NOT change a single byte on your HD. Know, however, that how a distro runs on your machine in the live mode is no absolute guarantee that it will run similarly after it is installed, but it is a pretty good indicator.

One thing to watch for is that certain releases of the DV6 displayed inverted webcam videos.
                I know that a Live DVD doesn't always reveal problems, that show up after the installed system is first booted. I think vinney said he had an old pavilion if he still has it then maybe he has an idea.

BTW: Did you know that the human brain sees everything upside down! It flips the image over before sending it the Ceribial Cortex (the human part) for the intelligent part of the processing.

Comment

I know that a Live DVD doesn't always reveal problems, that show up after the installed system is first booted. I think vinney said he had an old pavilion if he still has it then maybe he has an idea.
                  ,,,,,,,? I have an old HP-G62 ,,,,, but never tried 17.04 on it before giving it to the wife with a fresh win7 restore .

I would at least try a live media and see what you see.

O wait ,,,,,,I think I did have an OLD pavilion at one time ,,,,,,, ya back in the Ultima linux days ,,,,,a 800MHz CPU and 512MB RAM ,,,,,,,it's gone

BTW: Did you know that the human brain sees everything upside down! It flips the image over before sending it the Ceribial Cortex
                  ,,,,, no wander I'm dizzy all the time !

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

BTW: Did you know that the human brain sees everything upside down! It flips the image over before sending it the Ceribial Cortex (the human part) for the intelligent part of the processing.
                    Ya, but "Who" is watching the screen?

Actually, I taught Anatomy & Physiology at a nearby college for almost a decade, along with Microbiology, Physics, Calculus I,II & II, DiffEq, General Chem, Organic Chem and quantitative analysis. The image on the retina is upside-down and reversed left-to-right. Conventional wisdom puts the number of optical neurons at 576 million, or "pixels" if you will. Research has shown that the human brain can process a visual image on the retina in 13 milliseconds or, roughly, 77 images per second, even though the brain continues to process each image longer than that.

That has led me to believe that the human brain might be a form of quantum computer with a large storage.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 19, 2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

That has led me to believe that the human brain might be a form of quantum computer with a large storage.
                      Does it run Linux?

Comment

And that could lend credence to what happens to many of us as we age; we start to forget things; find tasks we used to understand easily are now 'less clear'. Read-Write errors? Segmentation faults? Bit Rot?
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does it run Linux?
                          Unfortunately, Linus Torvolds has not yet learned how to pair the Linux kernel source to qubits.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 20, 2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            And that could lend credence to what happens to many of us as we age; we start to forget things; find tasks we used to understand easily are now 'less clear'. Read-Write errors? Segmentation faults? Bit Rot?
                            My attempts to write to memory often fail. Attempts to read memory frequently result in 404 errors. Segments of my brain and body malfunction often, and I definitely have bit-rot on my long term storage, like right now as I attempt to recall how to spell "definitely". Thankfully, I have StartPage to call upon and a smartphone when I am not on this laptop. I'm beginning to believe that my smartphone is smarter than I am ... at least that's what Siri keeps telling me.

Comment

Working...
                            X