Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the kubuntu LIVE CD/USB also be used as an upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the kubuntu LIVE CD/USB also be used as an upgrade?

If I have already install kubuntu from the LIVE CD/USB, and install new stuff and set configurations, and then cannot get back in, can I use the same LIVE "install" to "upgrade" the kubuntu system already installed? Or will it just start all over with a clean install, wiping out the downloaded stuff and configurations that were set?

Cliff

Anything on your install from the CD is identical to what is on the CD so there is nothing to "upgrade". Re installation is a possibility but the easy thing to do is to select the second option on the grub menu (hold the Shift key will booting to get the grub menu if it doesn't appear while booting. In the maintenance menu select the run as root option. When you get the command line issue "mount -o remount,rw /" to make the drive read-write. Then issue "passwd youraccountname" and change your account password to something you can remember. Then issue "reboot".
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Anything on your install from the CD is identical to what is on the CD so there is nothing to "upgrade". Re installation is a possibility but the easy thing to do is to select the second option on the grub menu (hold the Shift key will booting to get the grub menu if it doesn't appear while booting. In the maintenance menu select the run as root option. When you get the command line issue "mount -o remount,rw /" to make the drive read-write. Then issue "passwd youraccountname" and change your account password to something you can remember. Then issue "reboot".
      Thanks. Are you talking about the 2nd Option on the LIVE CD, or Hard Disk Partition that kubuntu is on? I need to get into my other Linux Distro, and regrettably, I cannot, since I have installed kubuntu (though the M$ Windows I can get in). I thought if kubuntu would let me "upgrade", it might repair the boot issue, but I may just have to use the "upgrade" process of the other linux distro, since it always repairs boot problems. Thanks Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Gazer View Post
        Thanks. Are you talking about the 2nd Option on the LIVE CD, or Hard Disk Partition that kubuntu is on? I need to get into my other Linux Distro, and regrettably, I cannot, since I have installed kubuntu (though the M$ Windows I can get in). I thought if kubuntu would let me "upgrade", it might repair the boot issue, but I may just have to use the "upgrade" process of the other linux distro, since it always repairs boot problems. Thanks Again.
        The Grub menu. You'll find it.

Once you regain entry into Kubuntu using the root option on the maintenance menu you'll be able to log into Kubuntu and then you can use either Discover (fancy graphical interface to the Kubuntu repositories) , muon (a GUI but no pictures) or Synaptic (similar to muon). For regular updating it is a lot easier to open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt update
        sudo apt dist-upgrade

IF you know the exact name of a package you can install it using
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt install nameofpackage

To remove a package if you know its exact name
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt remove nameofpackage

IF you want to also remove configuration files along with the package then issue
        sudo apt purge nameofpackage

When you remove a package sometimes dependencies are left behind and are orphaned. You can remove them using
        sudo apt autoremove

I can never remember the exact name of a package so I generally use muon to search for a piece of its name to find it and then to add it or remove it.

There is over 80,000 packages in the repositories. As someone new to Linux I'd recommend that you install only packages you find in the repository and if you want to install a package from outside the repository ask here on the forum first, so that you don't install some malware. The packages in the repositories are vetted and signed with a gpg key.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          The Grub menu. You'll find it.

Once you regain entry into Kubuntu using the root option on the maintenance menu you'll be able to log into Kubuntu and then you can use either Discover (fancy graphical interface to the Kubuntu repositories) , muon (a GUI but no pictures) or Synaptic (similar to muon). For regular updating it is a lot easier to open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt update
          sudo apt dist-upgrade

IF you know the exact name of a package you can install it using
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt install nameofpackage

To remove a package if you know its exact name
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt remove nameofpackage

IF you want to also remove configuration files along with the package then issue
          sudo apt purge nameofpackage

When you remove a package sometimes dependencies are left behind and are orphaned. You can remove them using
          sudo apt autoremove

I can never remember the exact name of a package so I generally use muon to search for a piece of its name to find it and then to add it or remove it.

There is over 80,000 packages in the repositories. As someone new to Linux I'd recommend that you install only packages you find in the repository and if you want to install a package from outside the repository ask here on the forum first, so that you don't install some malware. The packages in the repositories are vetted and signed with a gpg key.
          Thanks a bunch! I am not new to Linux, I have been using Linux since 05/19/2009, mostly openSUSE; things seem to be quite different with kubuntu, but I am willing to spend some time with it trying it out.

Comment

Willing & wanting to explore, eh!
            Then download and install Neon User Edition and when you set it up format its partition with Btrfs (no swap drive needed). Best non-distro distro that I ever used in 20 years of using Linux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X