This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPv6 connection keeps dropping

I need to configure my wireless router to allow for IPv6 support. My ISP supports IPv6 as does all my hardware. When I turn on IPv6 on the router, it works initially, but my Kubuntu machine losses connectivity after a few minutes. I'm guessing that the dynamically created IP addresses aren't being updated properly. Any ideas?

What does this site tell you?
    http://ipv6-test.com/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It says IPv6 connectivity is not supported. Doesnt give any other useful info.

Comment

If your ISP supports IPv6 then they should be dishing out IPv6 addresses the same as they do with IPv4. They should also be populating the DNS domain name and addresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Got it working by using a switching hub between the ISP provided router and the wireless router. Devices that require IPv6 can plug directly into the hub and everything else can go through the either the wireless router or the hub.

Comment

So how do you attach your laptop and get IPv6 ... the hub using cable? Then do you also connect your wireless router in addition? Wouldn't that restrict IPv6 to the cable and IPv4 to the wifi?

Comment

Yes, and that is fine. I only needed IPv6 for this internet TV turner my wife got. If I enable IPv6 on the wireless router, ip address dont update across the network. I spent hours messing around with it and gave up. The current setup works and thats fine for now. When I have more time Ill try getting IPv6 working for everything.

Comment

That's my wolution motto, too! IPv6 deployment is in sad shape. The last figures I read said that only 21% of the web has converted to IPv6, and many ISPs are using tunneling instead of native IPv6.
                I'm using SIXXS to get I{v6. The IPv6 web test site gives me 20/20 and IPv6 is my default setting, with fallback to IPv4 in less than a second. BUT, SIXXS is going to shutter their service in June and then I'll have to resort to merado or Hurricane. I've already played with Hurricane and its not user or Linux friendly. Translation "I" couldn't get it to work. (No reflection on Hurricain). The Merado tunnel (it's in the repository) gives me only a 10 -12/20.

Spectrum (a.k.a. TimeWarner) keeps promising IPv6 to residential users, for several year now. When Allo comes to my neck of the woods I'm switching.

Comment

Working...
                X