X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer settings being ignored

Hi all,

I've noticed an annoying problem this morning, when trying to print from Thunderbird. At first I assumed it was Thunderbird/Mozilla specific, but now I see I also have the same problem when trying to print from Chrome (printing from KDE-native applications seems to work fine though). So it seems to be a general problem with printing from non-KDE apps.

The problem is that printing from these applications is using "Print Quality: Best" by default, even though my printer is set up to use "Print Quality: Normal" as default. If I look at the printer's default settings in KDE System Settings->Printers, it shows that "Print Quality: Normal" is the default. If I look at the CUPS config on localhost:631, it also shows Normal as the default.

I have looked at prefs.js in my Thunderbird config directory, and there is nothing there that specifies print quality (as best, normal, or anything else). I've also looked at config files under /etc (e.g. /etc/cups/printers.conf), but nothing suspicious there either.

When printing from Thunderbird, Chrome, etc, I can manually reset the option to Normal in the print dialog before printing, but next time I print, or if I exit the application and restart it, it defaults back to Best again.

Any ideas where these applications are getting this setting from?

I've got an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless, which generally works absolutely fine under 16.10, apart from this annoying problem!

Thanks!

Okay, so I have "solved" the problem by deleting the printer and reinstalling it. But it would still be nice to know what was going on here :-)

Comment

Working...
    X