This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.04 and LightDM

I've put this testing off long enough, and the last time I ran into lightdm, with 14.04, I just purged it away and went back to KDM. Can't do that, KDM is no longer around, and older KDM's won't install.

Well time has come to solve the issues I have with 16.04...

I need XMDCP, period. Not VNC, not this or that other remote.. I ssh in and use Xephyr remotely and locally... so...

Fresh 16.04 install, updated... Ok.. that works... SDDM no XDMCP.. so thats got to go!

Install lightdm and lightdm-kde-greeter... package reconfigures and select ligthdm for the default DM... install finishes.. reboot..

A huge honking ugly purple screen comes up... with a user name.. and a password box... enter password...

"Failed to start session."

lightdm needed to bring in a huge bunch of stuff...

Has any one got lightdm to install and start X? I deal with getting it configured for XDMCP if I can solve this...

Any one succeeded with this?

SOLVED LightDM and XDMCP enabled Thin is in

For those who also need to use XDMCP...

The problem appears to be using Synaptic to bring in lightdm and lightdm-kde-greeter, it brings a laundry list of dependencies.. versus apt which brings in far less. You can see the long list, in the bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1630283

So to get lightdm installed

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get ugprade

sudo apt-get install lightdm lightdm-kde-greeter

reconfigure to select lightdm for the DM over sddm.

Lightdm , WORKS, and X sessions start...

Now for XDMCP...

For all the 900000000000000000000000000000000 hits on scroggle etc. that list:

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

THIS FILE DOES NOT EXIST IN KUBUNTU 16.04! Matter of fact it has NEVER EXISTED in any version since this thing showed up! I always just switched back to KDM, but that is broke now...

So the CORRECT ANSWERS to ENABLE XDMCP is as follows:

cd /etc/lightdm

sudo nano lightdm.conf TO CREATE THIS FILE.

[XDMCPServer]
    enabled=true
    port=177

Save the file... You can either:

systemctl restart lightdm

or

reboot

Now you can XDMCP in to your box locally or via ssh!

One major annoyance down... now to tackle the return to Upstart... There still seems to be a missing KCM for lightdm, which lightdm-kde-greeter is supposed to bring in.. but it doesn't seem to show up...thats minor for me right now.

So there you have it..

Comment

Nice write up!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Using upgrade (sudo apt-get uprade) instead of dist-upgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) is eventually going to get you into trouble. Do yourself a big favor and read up on the difference between the two.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks! I didn't know they took XDMCP out of SDDM until I tried to use it. Switching to LightDM seems to be the way.

Comment

Originally posted by emrecio View Post
              Thanks! I didn't know they took XDMCP out of SDDM until I tried to use it. Switching to LightDM seems to be the way.
              I don't think SDDM ever had it, it was all on the to do list. I always used KDM, but they broke that completely, and now even the old versions wont install.

So with all the new hotness coders, they don't understand XDMCP, and its uses so they gut it out or try to thats why wayland is garbage, doesn't support remote X.

I really don't understand all this, since they all are into their precious clouds! Well my boxes have always been in the clouds! I run so much XMDCP and X forwarded stuff, its pathetic. Matter of facts its the way my office works. Actual real desktops are rare, LTS is back to the future!

Comment

Working...
              X