This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of xorg-edgers before upgrading

I done screwed up. Somebody recommended I upgrade to Mesa 17.x manually (to push through a recent bug fix that makes certain games not crash anymore) by installing xorg-edgers, and now apparently it's preventing the release upgrade from going through. Since Zesty has Mesa 17.whatever built right in, I shouldn't need edgers anymore; it's just a matter of getting it off without rendering my system unbootable. What's the best course of action here? This Google result suggests it's going to be a long and painful process and I lost track of what any of it means about a third of the way through.

what are you upgrading to ? ,,,you posted in 17.04 ,, and thats the newest .

what are you trying to upgrade from and what is the problem you are getting ,,,,IF your doing a "do-release-upgrade" it will disable the xorg PPA ,,,,,,BUT may not go through if your system has been changed to much .

their is "ppa-purge" you can install and it will remove the PPA and the packages that came from it replacing them with ones from the standard repo ,,,,,,or try to

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

16.10. This was listed as "pre-installation", and technically that's where I am because 17.04 doesn't want to install. Anyway, what happened was that I tried to run the do-release-upgrade and was told "an unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade." I know it's xorg-edgers that's in the way because that's the only thing I've installed from the command line besides maybe Steam, and the other two Kubuntu boxes that have Steam on them upgraded just fine. And yeah, I'm reluctant to use ppa-purge unless I can get better directions on how to use it than that page I linked to, because it's a whole back-and-forth where the guy tries one thing, it doesn't work, they ask for help again, and get another million lines they have to type in... I'd rather get the correct answer the first time than repeat his mistakes in case they're accidentally part of the solution.

Comment

run the "sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers" to see what it wants to do .

post it hear ,,,,but do not allow it to actually do it ,,,yet,,,,,you can opt out like an upgrade in the terminal.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Warning: Could not find package list for PPA: xorg-edgers ppa

Does this mean I don't actually have xorg-edgers? Because I could have sworn that's what it was called when I installed it, but of course it's not like I wrote it down or anything. Is there, like, some way to get a record of every package that's ever been manually installed?

Comment

What is in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

minecraft-installer-peeps-ubuntu-minecraft-installer-xenial.list
              minecraft-installer-peeps-ubuntu-minecraft-installer-xenial.list.distUpgrade
              minecraft-installer-peeps-ubuntu-minecraft-installer-xenial.list.save
              mjblenner-ubuntu-ppa-hal-xenial.list
              mjblenner-ubuntu-ppa-hal-xenial.list.distUpgrade
              mjblenner-ubuntu-ppa-hal-xenial.list.save
              mumble-ubuntu-release-xenial.list
              mumble-ubuntu-release-xenial.list.distUpgrade
              mumble-ubuntu-release-xenial.list.save
              oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-yakkety.list
              oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-yakkety.list.distUpgrade

"oibaf" sounded vaguely familiar, and typing it into Firefox's address bar pulled up this in my history. Luckily that page had instructions for removal (which is more than I can say for the beta Minecraft launcher), and it ... looks like it worked? It says it was purged successfully. Should I just jump right in with do-release-upgrade, or reboot first?

Comment

Reboot first.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I got bored of waiting and just ran the update without rebooting—I was afraid I had removed too much of the graphics stack to be able to boot back into it and figured the update would replace whatever was missing anyway. It seems to have worked out fine.

Comment

Actually, I might have seriously messed something up. It now takes a pretty long time to get up and running, spending a long time on a black screen between the login and when the desktop loads in, with the hard drive chattering away the whole time. And somehow I'm unable to get any downloads from Steam; it says the content servers are "unreachable". All my other Internet connections are working fine. Both the other computers were working just fine after they updated, so I'm guessing the purge took out some things I still needed. Is there any command to verify the entire system against what would be present after a clean install and redownload anything that's missing? I know, it's probably a stupid question.

Comment

What do you system logs show (ksyslogs).
                      What does "systemd-analyze blame" show?
                      Use the info here to find out what state your system is in, and we can compare listings.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2017, 12:20 PM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

systemctl status reported "State: degraded", and --failed showed that postfix@-.service has failed. That... might mean something? I don't know if postfix is just for email or if some programs use it for file transfers as well. For what it's worth, somewhere during the upgrade process, the Konsole window jumped to a point-and-shoot style menu (like you get if you're trying to install from text mode or booting into system restore) at one point that asked me something about an email server, and since I don't use my computer as one of those I just selected the option that sounded like opting out. KSystemlogs also has a couple lines of red text related to postfix as well:

Code:
                        4/21/17 1:19 AM	postfix/sendmail	fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
                        4/21/17 1:19 AM	anacron			Tried to mail output of job `cron.daily', but mailer process (/usr/sbin/sendmail) exited with ststus 75
                        And there's a bunch of orange lines that say "Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 127.0.1.1." and the same for UDP.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with what systemd-analyze blame spat out at me, but here's the whole listing:

Code:
                                 24.910s apt-daily.service
                                7.257s ModemManager.service
                                6.978s dev-sda1.device
                                6.233s NetworkManager.service
                                5.123s gpu-manager.service
                                4.622s postfix@-.service
                                4.078s packagekit.service
                                3.320s avahi-daemon.service
                                3.121s accounts-daemon.service
                                3.076s grub-common.service
                                2.796s apparmor.service
                                2.771s irqbalance.service
                                2.473s thermald.service
                                2.019s apport.service
                                1.531s keyboard-setup.service
                                1.524s rsyslog.service
                                1.196s systemd-udevd.service
                                1.091s polkit.service
                                1.076s systemd-logind.service
                                1.057s pppd-dns.service
                                 999ms resolvconf.service
                                 956ms systemd-resolved.service
                                 909ms speech-dispatcher.service
                                 820ms systemd-modules-load.service
                                 764ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
                                 750ms upower.service
                                 743ms networking.service
                                 728ms dev-mqueue.mount
                                 726ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
                                 666ms dev-hugepages.mount
                                 542ms systemd-cryptsetup@cryptswap1.service
                                 476ms systemd-timesyncd.service
                                 394ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
                                 351ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                                 348ms sddm.service
                                 338ms alsa-restore.service
                                 335ms setvtrgb.service
                                 334ms plymouth-start.service
                                 316ms systemd-journald.service
                                 296ms console-setup.service                                                                                                                                            
                                 249ms systemd-random-seed.service                                                                                                                                      
                                 206ms systemd-sysctl.service                                                                                                                                           
                                 159ms rtkit-daemon.service
                                 145ms rc-local.service
                                 135ms kmod-static-nodes.service
                                 130ms user@118.service
                                 123ms systemd-update-utmp.service
                                 117ms systemd-user-sessions.service
                                 114ms udisks2.service
                                  95ms user@1000.service
                                  84ms systemd-remount-fs.service
                                  68ms dev-mapper-cryptswap1.swap
                                  61ms systemd-journal-flush.service
                                  35ms plymouth-read-write.service