This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 2nd hard drive question

The computer that I use for the internet runs on Kubuntu 12.04.
    I have another computer that has Kubuntu 16.04.

I would like to move the 16.04 hard drive in to the 12.04 computer so it is easier to move all my data to the 16.04 hard drive.
    I'm a little nervous about just physically moving the 16.04 hd in because they are both bootable drives and I'm afraid the computer will get "confused" when I start it up.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Will there be a grub file at start up allowing me to choose? If there is, will it go away when I remove the 12.04 hard drive?

Thanks
    Greg
    W9WD

why not just use Dolphin>network>add network folder>SSH ?

then just drag and drop a folder at a time from the 12.04 to the 16.04 and let it copy.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Sometimes I don't remember what I don't have transferred until I miss it.
      I'm not very proficient at doing this type of stuff.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
        The computer that I use for the internet runs on Kubuntu 12.04.
        I have another computer that has Kubuntu 16.04.

I would like to move the 16.04 hard drive in to the 12.04 computer so it is easier to move all my data to the 16.04 hard drive.
        I'm a little nervous about just physically moving the 16.04 hd in because they are both bootable drives and I'm afraid the computer will get "confused" when I start it up.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Will there be a grub file at start up allowing me to choose? If there is, will it go away when I remove the 12.04 hard drive?

Thanks
        Yes, you're over-thinking it. The only unplanned event might be if your BIOS decides the newly installed drive is first in the boot order - this doesn't usually happen. In any case, before you move the drive, know how to invoke the BIOS boot selection menu - all PCs have that these days. It's usually F8 or F10 or something like that. Every BIOS doesn't do it the same so figure that out first. Then, if it boots to the wrong drive, just reboot and select the one you want.

BTW, unless you have unsupported hardware on your PC, it's very likely if you did just boot to the 16.04 drive it would boot and work just fine. The only things that might cause trouble would be video or wifi devices that need drivers not already in the kernel.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
          Sometimes I don't remember what I don't have transferred until I miss it.
          I'm not very proficient at doing this type of stuff.
          then just make sure you know how to select the boot device on the computer your puting the 16.04 hard drive in (if it has an Fkey for that) or how to select the boot drive in the BIOS of that box , and you should be good .

if these are old desktops you MAY/MAY NOT half to reset the jumper on the one your moving from master to cable select... IF it was pined master.

OR put it in a USB attachable HD enclosure

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ok
            Thanks guys
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Working...