This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From 12.04 to 14.04 ?

I am running Kubuntu 12.04 on my internet computer and wish to upgrade, BUT ONLY TO 14.04
    Is there a way to make sure it only upgrades to 14.04?
    How?

Thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    W9WD

Oh boy. My friend--just my opinion here--but I would simply download 14.04.x, make a nice fresh DVD/USB live installer, and do it that way. Of course, you'll have to back-up your user data files, and make notes about what apps you have and any special configurations you've done on those apps and your setup (desktop etc.). But--in theory--you should then have a super clean and solid 14.04. (Btw, I'm happily still using 14.04 and always do a fresh install--call it chicken stupidstition, if you wish.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What does

do-release-upgrade -c

show you?

Please Read Me

Comment

Now I remember why I never do updates.
        2 times through the wringer and I wind up with no grub and when repaired ubuntu.
        This is maddening.
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

I'll never do another "upgrade" again
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
            I'll never do another "upgrade" again
            I believe in the fresh install. One must make backups of data anyway, so why bother with an "upgrade" when you can do a fresh install, install your important apps and import your data.
            Win, win, win all the way around.

BTW, why 14.04 which has an EOL of this year? (IIRC, 14.04 was a 3 year LTS) 16.04 has FOUR more years left on it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have settled on having to do that.
              What a shame they can't make upgrading work right.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                .... What a shame they can't make upgrading work right.
                Probably because no two people have identical hardware in the same condition and configuration and don't install the same software nor configure & run their installation the same way. So, the developers have to target between -1 and + 1 sigma. The rest are hit & miss. Developing a distro is *TOUGH* work. They need all the encouragement they can get. Just consider how marvelous Kubuntu & Neon are. I'm running a 5 year old laptop with Neon, NVidia GT650m, 8GB RAM on an i7 using Btrfs and Neon. After installing WINE & POL, the QtSDK 5.8.0 and converting my Qt apps from 2005-8 developments, I now have the *FIRST* machine that contains ALL the software I've ever run since I started consulting using Tubo Pascal 3.02A in the early 1980s, and many of the games and amusements. (Anyone do aerial combat with gl-117?) (I found two variables that I assigned and never used, and one if test where (flag = true) would never fail )
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X