This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission Difficulties

ok so this started when i was trying to change an icon inside dolphin but it wasnt working so I ran dolphin as sudo to change it. since then i have had a huge amount of permission issues ranging from kwallet giving errors at startup to not being able to connect to a network because its awaiting authorization. how can i reset all my permissions back to normal?

actually i cant even log in now it just sends me back to login screen after i put my passwors in.
    Last edited by Oderus; Apr 02, 2017, 05:23 PM.

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
    ok so this started when i was trying to change an icon inside dolphin but it wasnt working so I ran dolphin as sudo to change it. since then i have had a huge amount of permission issues ranging from kwallet giving errors at startup to not being able to connect to a network because its awaiting authorization. how can i reset all my permissions back to normal?

actually i cant even log in now it just sends me back to login screen after i put my passwors in.
    (I take it you're now aware that using GUI apps with sudo is a bad idea, use kdesudo instead.)

(Untested, typing on my phone, thinking a prompt response might be good.)

Press ctrl-alt-f1 to get a text login, and login.
    Then [code ] sudo chown -R user:user . [/code ] (substituting your user name for both occurrences of "user").

If you use btrfs, and there's a .snapshots directory in your home directory, there might be problems with that, you might have to proceed one file or directory in your home at a time.

John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      (I take it you're now aware that using GUI apps with sudo is a bad idea, use kdesudo instead.)

(Untested, typing on my phone, thinking a prompt response might be good.)

Press ctrl-alt-f1 to get a text login, and login.
      Then [code ] sudo chown -R user:user . [/code ] (substituting your user name for both occurrences of "user").

If you use btrfs, and there's a .snapshots directory in your home directory, there might be problems with that, you might have to proceed one file or directory in your home at a time.

John Little
      it tells me
      sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set... maybe my /usr directory has bad permissions too?

okay i have repaired the sudo issue and performed the above. still when I try to log in using the gui login after i put my password in it goes right back to the login screen
      Last edited by Oderus; Apr 02, 2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Alright I have solved this issue and here is how.

I started up in recovery mode then did "mount -o remount /"
        Then I did "chown root:root /usr"
        Then "chown user:user /home/"
        I was then stuck in a login loop so I examined my ~/xsession-errors, which pointed to my ~/Xauthority
        I renamed Xauthority to Xauthority.bak and restarted.

All is well!

Thanks for the reply and the hints

Comment

You're lucky. Usually, ~/.Xauthority errors (ownership being changed to root being the most common one when sudo is misused) lead to a failure to get the xserver and desktop running, leaving a black screen after logging in.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            You're lucky. Usually, ~/.Xauthority errors (ownership being changed to root being the most common one when sudo is misused) lead to a failure to get the xserver and desktop running, leaving a black screen after logging in.
            Indeed I am very lucky.. I even copied my home folder over because I figured I would have to reinstall :/ Problem is definately due to user error.. I didn't even know kdesudo existed.

Comment

We've all been there!
              If running Dolphin as root doesn't look or work as you expect you might try:
              kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X