This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Use the "options" in the conf to set the params highlighted in red to 0 (zero).
    Then use systemd to restart the network service. (Or log out and back in)
    I'm not entirely sure how to do this What file do I edit Sorry for my ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
      I'm not entirely sure how to do this What file do I edit Sorry for my ignorance
      We're all ignorant ... some in one thing and some in another.

If rtl8821ae.conf does not exist in /etc/modprobe.d then use kate to create it.
      In a Konsole enter:
      kdesudo kate
      Open a new file. In it enter the folllowing:
      options rtl8821ae ips=0 swenc=0

Now save the file in /etc/modprobe.d/
      so that you have
      /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
      and it contains the option line.
      You can add or remove param options and/or play with their values. To see the params use "modinfo whatever.ko"

After you make a change then flush the ip and restart networking services using the method shown here: http://www.configserverfirewall.com/...ork-interface/
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

We're all ignorant ... some in one thing and some in another.

If rtl8821ae.conf does not exist in /etc/modprobe.d then use kate to create it.
        In a Konsole enter:
        kdesudo kate
        Open a new file. In it enter the folllowing:
        options rtl8821ae ips=0 swenc=0

Now save the file in /etc/modprobe.d/
        so that you have
        /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
        and it contains the option line.
        You can add or remove param options and/or play with their values. To see the params use "modinfo whatever.ko"

After you make a change then flush the ip and restart networking services using the method shown here: http://www.configserverfirewall.com/...ork-interface/
        The file didn't exist, I did as stated above. Thanks for explaining it's appreciated. Internet still cuts out with the upload on Dropbox above 20kb/s, and it also does the same when uploading from firefox so it may be any upload at all or i'm not sure. When I try to connect to my 5G network it hangs and eventually fails on getting netword address. Thanks again.

Comment

The file didn't exist, I did as stated above. Thanks for explaining it's appreciated. Internet still cuts out with the upload on Dropbox above 20kb/s, and it also does the same when uploading from firefox so it may be any upload at all or i'm not sure. When I try to connect to my 5G network it hangs and eventually fails on getting netword address. Thanks again.
          Update: I installed rtlwifi_new-master.zip from github and I can connect to 5G networks now, howver both networks still disconnect if i'm uploading.

Comment

I noticed that the default for the msi param is 1. Try setting it to 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I noticed that the default for the msi param is 1. Try setting it to 0

Well I was starting to get quite discouraged but this worked!! Thank you so much. One last question, the 5G sometimes doesn't connect or won't. Sometimes it does. Signal strength is 100%. Any ideas at all? Thanks for your time and for helping to solve this!

Comment

5G is a whole other kettle of fish. General deployment is set for 2020.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/what-i...n-do-i-get-it/

"First, there’s some fleshing out to do. “There is a formal process where 5G is defined, and that is the next step,” says Jan Dawson, chief analyst at Jackdaw Research. Only then can companies start rolling it out to the masses, and there’s a long way to go."

That info is only a month old. What vendor is claiming to give you 5G? Are they faking it? IF you are getting any connection at all it is probably due to harmonics, which come and go.

Comment

5G is a whole other kettle of fish. General deployment is set for 2020.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/what-i...n-do-i-get-it/

"First, there’s some fleshing out to do. “There is a formal process where 5G is defined, and that is the next step,” says Jan Dawson, chief analyst at Jackdaw Research. Only then can companies start rolling it out to the masses, and there’s a long way to go."

That info is only a month old. What vendor is claiming to give you 5G? Are they faking it? IF you are getting any connection at all it is probably due to harmonics, which come and go.
                  Oh ok yes it does come and go so makes sense. The router I have offers standard and 5G at the same time. my android devices connect to and use the 5G no problem. Its ok I am good with standard wifi for my pc that is now stable. thank you so much.
                  Last edited by Oderus; Apr 01, 2017, 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Oh ok yes it does come and go so makes sense. The router I have offers standard and 5G at the same time. my android devices connect to and use the 5G no problem. Its ok I am good with standard wifi for my pc that is now stable. thank you so much.
                    Your router manufacturer and Google are offering 5G capable devices based on their OWN standards, since a universal definition of the 5G protocol hasn't been negotiated yet. They are using their marketshare muscle to force development their way. 5G has been given the low end of the rf spectrum. Transmitters and receivers at that end must have larger antennas, like CB needed. Their transmission power will have to be kept low to avoid "skip", a phenomenon I regularly used when I was using amateur radio. With a 60 watt continuous wave transmitter I could deliver a 5 by 9 signal in Japan, using a 15' cubical quad antenna.

Using 250 mw transmissions a 5G modem is going to need a lot more cell towers, especially during the day when sun light suppresses the ionosphere. If the xmitter power is jacked up to increase the range it will shorten battery life considerably. I don't see 5G replacing 4G LTE any time soon except in limited applications.

Comment

Your router manufacturer and Google are offering 5G capable devices based on their OWN standards, since a universal definition of the 5G protocol hasn't been negotiated yet. They are using their marketshare muscle to force development their way. 5G has been given the low end of the rf spectrum. Transmitters and receivers at that end must have larger antennas, like CB needed. Their transmission power will have to be kept low to avoid "skip", a phenomenon I regularly used when I was using amateur radio. With a 60 watt continuous wave transmitter I could deliver a 5 by 9 signal in Japan, using a 15' cubical quad antenna.

Using 250 mw transmissions a 5G modem is going to need a lot more cell towers, especially during the day when sun light suppresses the ionosphere. If the xmitter power is jacked up to increase the range it will shorten battery life considerably. I don't see 5G replacing 4G LTE any time soon except in limited applications.

Ahh ok. Thank you so much for the great information!

Comment

I suspect that Oderus is referring to the 5 GHz band wireless LAN, been official since 2009, not the 5G WAN, due out in 2020.

Please excuse me if I'm confused.

John Little
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                          I suspect that Oderus is referring to the 5 GHz band wireless LAN, been official since 2009, not the 5G WAN, due out in 2020.

John Little
                          Most likely, it's home internet with a router that has a 5G nertwork and a regular network with options for both. I can choose between the two. My tablets and phones love the 5G but my PC is not liking it

Comment

well this talk of 5G wireless made me remember that I have that ,,,,,,my ISP (TWC) has me set with 2 wireless connections to my router 1-2.5G and 1-5G ,,,,,I have always used the 2.5G as thats the one the installation Technician had me setup the way I liked .

I can go to their web page to my acct. settings and it will display the wireless passwords so I just got the one for the5G and connected to it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dang I should have done this before ,,,I'm getting 56.9 Mbps DL and 5.88 UP

VINNY

Click image for larger version

Name:	6182917275.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	643482
                            Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 01, 2017, 07:31 PM.
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              well this talk of 5G wireless made me remember that I have that ,,,,,,my ISP (TWC) has me set with 2 wireless connections to my router 1-2.5G and 1-5G ,,,,,I have always used the 2.5G as thats the one the installation Technician had me setup the way I liked .

I can go to their web page to my acct. settings and it will display the wireless passwords so I just got the one for the5G and connected to it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dang I should have done this before ,,,I'm getting 56.9 Mbps DL and 5.88 UP

VINNY

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6945[/ATTACH]
                              very nice yes that's why I would like to get mine working! Works great on my phone but not desktop
                              Last edited by Oderus; Apr 01, 2017, 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

John Little
                                You're probably right. I refer to the 5GHz service as 802.11n, which tops out between 50Mbps and 150Mbps, theoretical and advertising considerations aside. My TWC connection is 25Mbps, so i use 802.11g, which maxes out at 54Mbps. My ethernet cable is 100Mbps, which is 4X faster than what TWC supplies me. I never refer to 802.11n 5Ghz bandwidth as 5G.

Comment

Working...
                                X