Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDDM and key layout with the Logitech K400 keyboard.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM and key layout with the Logitech K400 keyboard.

Hello:

I've 2 keyboards, both with Spanish (es) layout. One is a Logitech K300 (wired, with 102 keys) and a Logitech K400 (wireless, with 84 keys, with touchpad incorporated). When I use the first one, SDDM seems to detect the right layout automatically. Or maybe it just applies the configuration that I set by hand. But when I use the K400, SDDM seems to be using the American English (us) layout by default.

I use passwords with symbols, in addition to letters and digits, so this makes it complicated to log-in. Fortunately, I remember the location of many keys in the "us" layout, and I can log-in and then reconfigure the keyboard with the "es" layout, using the command "setxkbmap". But it's a repetitive and tiring task.

I believe that it's an specific issue with SDDM or with the display managers in general. Because, if I switch to the text console, the correct layout is applied. I can log-in without problems. I've read in the Arch wiki that SDDM applies the "us" layout by default. But I think that information is specific of that distro or that it isn't valid any more in the current versions of SDDM. Otherwise, the K300 would be detected incorrectly too. And it isn't.

So, Do you know why the layout of the K400 is misunderstood by SDDM? I'm trying to remember if this also happened with Kubuntu 14.04 and LightDM (the display manager used back then), and I think that it did too. Although in that case, the layout was set to the right one after logging-in.

Thank you!

SDDM settings

Keyboard layout

The SDDM with the X is executing the /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup - Wanted setxkbmap setup can be added there. Earlier: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=138783

Current Breeze sddm theme has a pull down (lower left corner) menu if there are more than one option:

Language/locale

The 'sddm.service - /lib/systemd/system/sddm.service' setting 'EnvironmentFile' seems to work at here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/...-sddm-respects
    Last edited by Rog131; Mar 21, 2017, 03:40 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you a lot, Rog131. I've modified the file /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup, and the K400 keyboard has been correctly recognized by SDDM .

But I still would like to know why one keyboard is recognized automatically, whereas the other isn't. Do you have any idea? I believe that it would be better if SDDM took the configuration from the file /etc/default/keyboard , which is the one used by the shell (at least in Debian-based distributions).

Comment

I can't say why the keyboard is not recognized properly but the SDDM issue tracker has: Keyboard layout not detected - https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X