This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GG
    The only problem with using your powers like that is that from then on you have to live up to that reputation...

Tell them that it takes a long time to recharge after a "healing" and you may not be able to do it for some, undefined, period...
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      GG
      The only problem with using your powers like that is that from then on you have to live up to that reputation...

Tell them that it takes a long time to recharge after a "healing" and you may not be able to do it for some, undefined, period...
      Literally true!
      (But shuffling your shoes on the carpet as you walk to the cubical helps! )
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        (But shuffling your shoes on the carpet as you walk to the cubical helps! )
        I literally killed a fresh-out-of-the-box IBM Thinkpad back in the day. Cubicle mate couldn't find the RJ-11 port on the laptop so I shuffled over and pointed at it.

Spark jumped from finger to RJ-11 port and that laptop never ran. IBM ended up replacing it under warranty.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
          Spark jumped from finger to RJ-11 port and that laptop never ran. IBM ended up replacing it under warranty.
          Ah, the "anti-allspark". While the 'Allspark' brings life to the mechanical, the anti-allspark takes that life away.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I remember once "back in the day" - must have been 20 years ago. The kids were playing a game on my PC. One of them ran across the room and grabbed the Joystick and yelped! The game port (remember those?) on that motherboard died but the rest of it was fine. Game didn't even stop playing - F15 Strike Eagle I believe. Back then I was upgrading ever couple of years anyway...

Please Read Me

Comment

Mother nature shuffled her shoes on me one time. I was running, IIRC, SuSE 5.3 (with KDE 1.0 Beta on it!), in september of 1998. It was dark and a thunder storm was raging outside. I was in my office working on my desktop when lightening hit the street lamp at the head of our driveway. There was a pop and sparks in the socket and the power went out in the house. I went back to the utility room and threw the breaker back on. Once I checked with everyone else and turned other devices that should have been on back on, I walked into my office expecting to spend the rest of the evening re-installing and restoring, IF the hardware survived. I smelled burnt electrical smells as I walked down the hall. Walking into my office I was greeted with the login screen. Stunned, I logged in and everything was in order.

At work the next spring they had been having problems with their WildCat45 BBS system that allowed tax preparers to log into the state database and see how their clients tax returns were progressing. The Win98 on which the system was running kept crashing. That didn't seem to bother the IT people as long as it ws during work time. They could just walk over to the Win98 box, just outside my cubical, and reboot it. AFTER hours, and on weekends, it was a different matter. No one wanted to drive into work to reboot the Win98, sometimes more than once during a day.

I'd been running a SuSE server in my office on which I had PostgreSQL installed. The boss and the IT guys came into my cubical and asked if Linux was more stable than Windows.

I had my server set to automatically reboot if the power was interrupted. While it was running I pulled the power cord out of the wall, then plugged it back in. In a minute it was right back where it was when I pulled the power. They asked me to design a BBS system to roll between two phones. I did. It took a couple days of writing and testing three scripts; two python scripts and one bash script working on a KDE 1.0 desktop, designed as a turnkey. While demonstrating the system the IT guy asked what would happen if the power in the building dropped. "Like this?", I said as I pulled the plug. Plugging it back in the desktop and the main menu loop was running in on the KDE desktop, waiting for the user to do something. That system ran for 18 months without ever requiring an IT person to reboot it during or after work hours. Then they outsourced it. What a way to waste money.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Mother nature shuffled her shoes on me one time. I was running, IIRC, SuSE 5.3 (with KDE 1.0 Beta on it!), in september of 1998. It was dark and a thunder storm was raging outside.
                You mean it was a dark and stormy night? Therein lies a tale...

Sorry, couldn't resist
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This power loss thing is, is, quite a thing. We all sort of know the theory: power loss-restart can mess up the motherboard and other components, leaking capacitors, blown transister-circuits, and so on. However, in the past decade or so, I've had a s*load of such happenings, and to my knowledge no damage. Of course, down the road some years, you notice a little strange behavior or a leaking beer-can (capacitor) and wonder what could have been the cause besides age. Now, lately, I have an ASUS-H97-Plus motherboard with that static-power protector in it, and on three occasions it has (apparently) got on top of the power failures (from the house), intervened, and did its protector-thing, and upon booting up (or if a re-start takes place), it tells you what happened and that it got triggered -- nice.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X