Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the delay and rate of the key repetition has no effect.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the delay and rate of the key repetition has no effect.

Hello:

I've Kubuntu 16.10 (64-bit) installed in my computer. I'm using the keyboard configuration panel to change the delay and rate of the key repetition. However, the values that I set have no effect. For example, if I set a delay of 200 ms and a rate of 50.00 repeats/s, the keys behave the same.

I've used the command [tt]xset q[/tt] to check if the corresponding parameters are changed by the Plasma settings, but they remain with their original values. I've also run the command [tt]xset r rate 50 200[tt], to check if it was a problem of the X server. And the new configuration has worked successfully. So I believe that that possibility can be discarded, and that the cause is in Plasma.

Can you reproduce the same problem? Or is it something specific of my installation? I've tested it with 2 different keyboards: a wired one and a wireless one.

Thank you.

An obvious question, but after making the changes via System Settings, have you logged out and back in, and/or rebooted?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      An obvious question, but after making the changes via System Settings, have you logged out and back in, and/or rebooted?
      First of all, thank you for helping me . Yes, I tried both things: logging out and rebooting.

Fortunately, after many tests, I can say that it was my fault. I deactivated the Plasma's service called "Keyboard Dæmon". I like deactivating services that I don't use. The description of this service says this: "Enables switching keyboard layout through shortcuts or system tray". So I thought that it wouldn't affect the key repetition (although both options are related to the keyboard).

I've reactivated this service and, now, the changes in the key repetition settings have an effect in the X server .

Comment

We've all don't that -- shoot ourselves in the foot -- at one time or another; you aren't alone! Glad you figured out the problem.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For sure, Snowhog!
          It's the way Mother Nature works! She gives the test first, then the lesson. No retakes!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you. To be honest, this happens to me very often, he he he. But I guess that that's the price for being curious :P .

Comment

Working...
            X