This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving fram small HD to larger SSD

I am moving WIN10/Kubuntu from a 250 GB hard drive to a 500 GB SSD. I have been using the 16.04 DVD install disk to do this, using the dd command. I then get the SSD partitioned as WIN10 on the first 125 GB, Kubuntu on the second 125 GB, leaving half the disk empty.

What I want, is to get WIN 10 as the first 3/4 of the SSD, and Kubuntu on the last 1/4.

But when I remove the Kubuntu partition, I am still not allowed to expand the first partition. (Using Kubuntu's Partition Manager).

It's probably just a small detail, but I have not done "real" Kubuntu for a while, so can someone please help me do this? I don't want to loose the WIN 10 files/installation, but am installing the new version of Kubuntu rather than upgrading an earlier version with some problems.
    Last edited by nilsA; Mar 07, 2017, 03:39 PM.

Hi nilsA. We have some "clone-backup" experts here who may chime in soon on this. In the meantime, just two quick thoughts:

(1) re dd: In my experience, after some experiments, I finally chose to follow a "rule" I read by a long-time dd-expert: When copying drives, use dd ONLY to copy from one drive to a second drive of the exact same size. In how dd works, it's like dd takes that Windows partition and embeds it * as a partition of the same size * right into your target drive. Thus, in particular, you might say that dd doesn't even "see" the remaining room on your target drive. dd reads and copies bit-by-bit, recall, and so picks up everything, not just the contents of a file system. Thus, I am suggesting to use some other cloning/backup utility to do this job -- which others here may know about.

(2) Personally, to edit (e.g., expand) partitions, I would take the safe, tried-and-true route and simply use GParted (say GParted live CD/USB):
    http://gparted.org/livecd.php
    And GParted may even have a copy function for this, I'm not sure.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA View Post
      What I want, is to get WIN 10 as the first 3/4 of the SSD, and Kubuntu on the last 1/4.

But when I remove the Kubuntu partition, I am still not allowed to expand the first partition...
      Instructions I have read said, you have to use Windows to resize the Windows partition.

John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm rusty on Windows partition management, but GParted handles NTFS, right?
        http://gparted.org/features.php
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you both!

The reason I used dd was, it was the only thing that did work. Possibly some extra memory I installed at the same time. It was not compatible, or at least not reliable, so things just stopped. dd did work.

So I have the SSD, and don't mind keeping just the Windows part, as I had a bad install of the last LTS version that bothered me. I'll download and burn gparted, and then see what happens.

Thank you both, so far!

Regards, nilsA

Comment

As it went - Gparted live for removing the non-Win10 system partitions, then Win 10 Disk Management for expanding this partition .

Then into Win 10 and do disk-check for the drives with NTFS file system.

Install Kubuntu on the remaining free part of the disk - and things seems to run just about fine. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X