This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen during boot

Hello, I am quite new in Linux world with Kubuntu 16.10 installed on my laptop. I want to install also this version (or any other version) on my second laptop which is really lowend. I am running in BIOS legacy mode with Windows 10 installed as well. After installation of Kubuntu 16.10 from USB live version I am able to choose my system in GRUB. But when I choose the Ubuntu options, there is just black screen and nothing will happen. I was googling a little bit and tried also the "nomodeset" option but without success. Does anybody have some solution for this case? Or what else to try?

Thanks!

computer setup:
    Intel Celeron Processor N3050
    Intel HD Graphics
    2GB of DDR3L Memory
    no HDD but only the eMMC 32 GB

Given your setup, GRUB, BIOS Legacy mode, there's a good chance that you can fix this using Boot-Repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Given your setup, GRUB, BIOS Legacy mode, there's a good chance that you can fix this using Boot-Repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
      Unfortunately this didn't help...

Comment

The Intel HD Graphics chip is common and well supported by every distro. Usually, the i915 video driver is used.
        Can you select the recovery mode and log into a root console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What specific device do you have? These intel Braswell, Atom and other similar SoCs sometimes have specific quirks that need to be addressed to get them up and running. They do have intel HD graphics but that is not necessarily the same as what one would find in a "normal" laptop.

I'll Look up some of my resources and see if there is something that should help.

Sound may still be an issue on these machines but last I looked progress has been made in this area.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            The Intel HD Graphics chip is common and well supported by every distro. Usually, the i915 video driver is used.
            Can you select the recovery mode and log into a root console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            No, the problem is that I cannot launch the normal (installed) mode neither the recovery mode Only live mode works properly...

Comment

Originally posted by AdaMoOo View Post
              No, the problem is that I cannot launch the normal (installed) mode neither the recovery mode Only live mode works properly...
              Does the grub recovery screen display, which allows you to log in as root? If not then you may have a bad ISO download. Did you checksum the download and then the LiveUSB after you burned it?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                What specific device do you have? These intel Braswell, Atom and other similar SoCs sometimes have specific quirks that need to be addressed to get them up and running. They do have intel HD graphics but that is not necessarily the same as what one would find in a "normal" laptop.

I'll Look up some of my resources and see if there is something that should help.

Sound may still be an issue on these machines but last I looked progress has been made in this area.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
                Concretely it is this machine Acer Aspire One 11 (AO1-132-C9M9). And if there is some quirk, it will be bad because I have five of them and need Linux installed and running.

Comment

Originally posted by AdaMoOo View Post
                  Concretely it is this machine Acer Aspire One 11 (AO1-132-C9M9). And if there is some quirk, it will be bad because I have five of them and need Linux installed and running.
                  Ah, you may be having a Secure Boot problem. There is an article which explains how to install Ubuntu 15.10 on your system. Kubuntu 16.10 *may* install just as easily, but you may want to go with an LTS release to minimize future pain. However, considering the slowness of that device you'll probably get better performance running a lighter desktop. An article that reviews 5 of them is here. Xubuntu features XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Ah, you may be having a Secure Boot problem. There is an article which explains how to install Ubuntu 15.10 on your system. Kubuntu 16.10 *may* install just as easily, but you may want to go with an LTS release to minimize future pain. However, considering the slowness of that device you'll probably get better performance running a lighter desktop. An article that reviews 5 of them is here. Xubuntu features XFCE.
                    Thank you for your comment. I will try to folow all the steps tomorrow and hopefully install the Linux successfully. I will let you know here...

Comment

There should not be any real tweaking needed for this device as far as I can tell. Did the live session work at all? If it did, you may try booting from grub with "quiet" removed and "splash" removed or changed to "nosplash" so we can hopefully see where it stops loading things.

if you want to dual boot, I suggest installing in uefi mode, and even installing the OS to a fast sdcard. Having both windows and most full-featured Linux desktops on the same 32 gb drive will be a bit crowded
                      I'd recommend 16.04 over 16.10

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74...-cloudbook-431
                      this has some setup tips that may help in regards to both uefi and legacy boot. I will assume that the hardware is identical to your 11 inch model except for screen size

Comment

So I tried to follow the steps here today and it magically works :-D So really thanks for your help to everyone! I would consider this thread as closed and solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X