This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic of Icon Alignment

Any idea how I can properly align these icons?

I am using the Default Desktop, and kubuntu 14.04

Thanks

Edit.

I pasted the image and noted a great deal of code, rather than the image. I will be back
    Last edited by anonprivate; Feb 13, 2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: No image, lot of code
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Icon Alignment

Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop_icons_alignment.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	643449

How can I align the desktop icons (to the left)?

I am using the default desktop in kubuntu 14.04.

Thanks

Comment

See if this will get you there.

Right click in your desktop>desktop settings
      Select View>layout>folder>apply

After it "applies" rick click the desktop once again
      Hovering over "icons", see if one of the options works for you.

I remember at one time my launcher menu apps were all visible and perfectly aligned to left edge. I didn't want them showing and someone here showed me how to "collapse" them, for lack of a better term, into the lower left corner K button. It was a really simple deal that to this day I can't find. Meaning if I wanted those to display on my desktop I have no idea how to do that.
      Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

anonprivate@

What Icon Theme are you using?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
          See if this will get you there.

Right click in your desktop>desktop settings
          Select View>layout>folder>apply

After it "applies" rick click the desktop once again
          Hovering over "icons", see if one of the options works for you.

I remember at one time my launcher menu apps were all visible and perfectly aligned to left edge. I didn't want them showing and someone here showed me how to "collapse" them, for lack of a better term, into the lower left corner K button. It was a really simple deal that to this day I can't find. Meaning if I wanted those to display on my desktop I have no idea how to do that.
          thank you for the suggestion.

I am now able to push the top icons much further to the left, and the appearance is much better. But I still have to align by eye. I was hoping that the icons would snap to the left hand side. I find that aligning by eye never looks quite right, but it is much better than before.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            anonprivate@

I have looked in 'System Settings', 'Folder Settings, and 'icons', but I cannot see a reference to 'Theme'

Comment

anonprivate@

Found the setting.

Oxygen - Oxygen Theme
              Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 14, 2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I don't recognize the icons in your first post as being part of the Oxygen Icon Theme for 14.04. In fact, I'm reasonably certain that they are not part of the Oxygen Icon Theme set.

Comment

I don't recognize the icons in your first post as being part of the Oxygen Icon Theme for 14.04. In fact, I'm reasonably certain that they are not part of the Oxygen Icon Theme set.
                  You asked me what icon theme I am using.

In System Settings, Application Appearance, Icons, Customise kde icons: Theme, it states Oxygen - Oxygen Team.

The icons in the above graphic are those that I created and linked to applications.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                    The icons in the above graphic are those that I created and linked to applications.
                    That can/does make a big difference. What application did you use to create those icons, and how much 'space' exists around the actual images (top, bottom, left, right)?

Comment

I think I know what Snowhog is talking about. I have created some custom icons of my own in GIMP. There is an "alpha" channel used for transparency in the PNG format.

Name:	gw2.png
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	643450

Name:	gw2o.png
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	643451

These icons might look the same but notice how the second is offset? The top icon is 256x256, while the bottom is 300x256 it has 44 transparent pixels on the leading edge. You can use Gwenview to edit your icons using crop (Shift+C) if this is the case. However I don't use the Folder desktop as standard because I dislike the clutter, I run default desktop. I place my icons into folders and sub-folders. The items I run the most are stored in panels either at the top or bottom of my screen.

Comment

That can/does make a big difference. What application did you use to create those icons, and how much 'space' exists around the actual images (top, bottom, left, right)?
                        I used gimp to create the icons. The amount of space probably varies - I will need to check.

In folder view, I have much more control over the icon positions.

Other than that, I do not not see any difference between folder view and default desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          I think I know what Snowhog is talking about. I have created some custom icons of my own in GIMP. There is an "alpha" channel used for transparency in the PNG format.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6893[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6894[/ATTACH]

These icons might look the same but notice how the second is offset? The top icon is 256x256, while the bottom is 300x256 it has 44 transparent pixels on the leading edge. You can use Gwenview to edit your icons using crop (Shift+C) if this is the case. However I don't use the Folder desktop as standard because I dislike the clutter, I run default desktop. I place my icons into folders and sub-folders. The items I run the most are stored in panels either at the top or bottom of my screen.
                          Thanks for responding.

I have much less of a problem aligning the icons in folder view. I have not noticed any 'clutter'

Edit:

I have now cropped the images.

The images are different sizes, but all circular. I believe that kubuntu standardises the sizes for the desktop.

How did you ensure that you desktop icons were of the same size, and how did you align then vertically?
                          Last edited by anonprivate; Feb 15, 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I just solved my own desktop issues on this thread here. I use default desktop and not the folder view but here are some alternate options for you to try.

1. Use this widget called folder and use it to display your desktop icons. It is somewhat transparent and can be sized to fit.

Name:	icons1.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	643453 Click image for larger version

Name:	icons2.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	643454

2. Make an empty panel on the left side of the screen. Drag and drop your icons here and finally be sure to set the panel to be under your windows.

Name:	icons3.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	643455 Click image for larger version

Name:	icons4.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	643456

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                              I just solved my own desktop issues on this thread here. I use default desktop and not the folder view but here are some alternate options for you to try.

1. Use this widget called folder and use it to display your desktop icons. It is somewhat transparent and can be sized to fit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6896[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6897[/ATTACH]

2. Make an empty panel on the left side of the screen. Drag and drop your icons here and finally be sure to set the panel to be under your windows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6898[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6899[/ATTACH]
                              There is only one problem.

I have four virtual desktops and like all to function independently. I have noticed that installing panels on one virtual desktop install them on all virtual desktops.

Comment

Working...
                              X