This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Preferred OS

For those users who have more that one desktop/laptop have you installed the same OS (your favourite) on both?
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

yes on all of them, some kind of linux distro depending on what im doing with the machine.
    Last edited by sithlord48; Jan 18, 2017, 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

[chuckle @ sithlord ]

I have three machines. All three run Debian Unstable (one 32-bit, two 64-bit). All three have fluxbox installed; only my main machine has KDE.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Similar to the wizard, I have one relatively modern (Intel i7 4770) desktop running Debian unstable, one ancient e-Machines desktop running Debian unstable, one 2-year old laptop running Debian unstable, all updated within the last 24 hours, and all with Plasma 5 desktops.

Comment

My main laptop has Kubuntu Neon. My wife's has Kubuntu 14.04. On the laptop I delivered today to a friend I installed Linux Mint 18.1 with Cinnamon.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Life can and sometimes does become complicated. So I've simplified it.

Laptop--belongs to the spousal unit--I keep Windows 10 on it (1) to keep her stuff simple and synced (Skype, IMO, etc.), and (2) to keep it as a learning experience for me, staying abreast of the all the crap in the world of Windows. I'm the maintenance guy on it, keeps me feeling humble serving the janitor archetype.

My computing: Two desktops. One runs 14.04, is older (2009), and I keep it under my desk only in case my main machine should go down, or if I need a part in an emergency, and almost never boot it up.

Which brings me to simplifying it: I now use only one Desktop (built in 2015, i5). One OS, currently 14.04.

Just for fun, though, on that one main machine with 14.04, I also place any and all OSs at whim to experiment with booting, UEFI, ESPs, etc., and it currently has 12 partitions: three ESPs, my main 14.04 (plus home and swap), a Debian, two Mints KDE, and three more instances of Kubuntu OSs. However, I only use the one main 14.04 OS on that machine -- the rest are there only for booting experiments.

Simple, right? One machine, one OS, currently 14.04. Everything else is for toying around with booting but are otherwise never used. And I work part time as a janitor-maintenance guy.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Life can and sometimes does become complicated. So I've simplified it.

Laptop--belongs to the spousal unit--I keep Windows 10 on it (1) to keep her stuff simple and synced (Skype, IMO, etc.), and (2) to keep it as a learning experience for me, staying abreast of the all the crap in the world of Windows. I'm the maintenance guy on it, keeps me feeling humble serving the janitor archetype.

My computing: Two desktops. One runs 14.04, is older (2009), and I keep it under my desk only in case my main machine should go down, or if I need a part in an emergency, and almost never boot it up.

Which brings me to simplifying it: I now use only one Desktop (built in 2015, i5). One OS, currently 14.04.

Just for fun, though, on that one main machine with 14.04, I also place any and all OSs at whim to experiment with booting, UEFI, ESPs, etc., and it currently has 12 partitions: three ESPs, my main 14.04 (plus home and swap), a Debian, two Mints KDE, and three more instances of Kubuntu OSs. However, I only use the one main 14.04 OS on that machine -- the rest are there only for booting experiments.

Simple, right? One machine, one OS, currently 14.04. Everything else is for toying around with booting but are otherwise never used. And I work part time as a janitor-maintenance guy.
              I have been looking for the maintenance guy, and a Windows expert.

I placed a post here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.p...s-only.315519/

tried all the suggestions, and nothing works. Before I install a version of Linux, can I book some maintenance time.

Comment

Oh-oh, you've mistaken me for someone who ReallyKnowsTM. I know nothing about networks/connection. If it doesn't go the first time, I click Try Again. If that doesn't work, I re-boot the router-modem. If that doesn't work, I re-boot the PC. Thus far, I've been lucky.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Oh-oh, you've mistaken me for someone who ReallyKnowsTM. I know nothing about networks/connection. If it doesn't go the first time, I click Try Again. If that doesn't work, I re-boot the router-modem. If that doesn't work, I re-boot the PC. Thus far, I've been lucky.
                  Only joking

Comment

My desktop has Kubuntu Neon Developer (very stable, by the way) dual-booted with Windows 10 (just because Universal Sandbox doesn't crash there, like it does on Neon). I have an old Lenovo netbook which is dual-booted with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Peppermint 7, which got rave reviews from some guy on YouTube. The netbook is for experimenting. I also am trying Maui and Kubuntu 16.10 on Virtual machines, but like Kubuntu Neon best. I've also installed Kali on the virtual machine in case I want to learn white-hat hacking. Ah, the freedom of retirement.

Comment

anonprivate: Only joking
                      Me, too.

Back on topic, I will mention that when I first got into Linux, it was Kubuntu, circa 2005-2006, and at that time, like a lot of new Linux people, I tried all sorts of Linux OSs and has them installed here, there, and everywhere. Now, simplifying down to one good one, for now 14.04.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                        I have been looking for the maintenance guy, and a Windows expert.

I placed a post here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.p...s-only.315519/

tried all the suggestions, and nothing works. Before I install a version of Linux, can I book some maintenance time.
                        I tried to follow all the suggestions but the other forum is a bit of a mess. Im quite happy to help you.

So

1. You arent using DHCP? So you have set all your network settings yourself? It that right?
                        2. The first point of call i think would be to switch back to using DHCP on your laptop, remove any of the override settings and start from there. If you can do that please and then if it works, great, if not, then if you can attach the output of: (Whilst using DHCP please)

netstat -nr

and

ipconfig/all

Once i have that i should be able to help

Adam
                        http://www.arola.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                          The netbook is for experimenting.
                          I have one of those. Compaq-branded HP Mini 110c - Atom N270, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD with an Intel 6200 WLAN card replacing the !@#$ Broadcom card that came with the thing.

I went for a really lean install of Debian Unstable and installed fluxbox on the thing - with conky and compton running (i needs my eye candy) the thing uses about 95MB of memory at idle. I use it for testing themes, light web surfing and other harebrained ideas before I inflict those ideas on the other two machines I have
                          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by ajc00 View Post
                            I tried to follow all the suggestions but the other forum is a bit of a mess. Im quite happy to help you.

So

1. You arent using DHCP? So you have set all your network settings yourself? It that right?
                            2. The first point of call i think would be to switch back to using DHCP on your laptop, remove any of the override settings and start from there. If you can do that please and then if it works, great, if not, then if you can attach the output of: (Whilst using DHCP please)

netstat -nr

and

ipconfig/all

Once i have that i should be able to help

Adam
                            http://www.arola.co.uk
                            I am not very optimistic because of the amount of effort others have expended in an attempt to get my laptop to connect to the internet.

However, I will try.

The nature of this thread concerns Linux OS's, hence, I will contact you by pm.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                              My desktop has Kubuntu Neon Developer (very stable, by the way) dual-booted with Windows 10 (just because Universal Sandbox doesn't crash there, like it does on Neon). I have an old Lenovo netbook which is dual-booted with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Peppermint 7, which got rave reviews from some guy on YouTube. The netbook is for experimenting. I also am trying Maui and Kubuntu 16.10 on Virtual machines, but like Kubuntu Neon best. I've also installed Kali on the virtual machine in case I want to learn white-hat hacking. Ah, the freedom of retirement.
                              Just shows you how hardware + OS can vary. I run Neon also and I have Universal Sandbox 2 installed. I'm running a laptop that has a primary Intel 4000 HD GPU and a secondary Nvidia GT650M. The nvidia-370 driver makes my 650M the primary GPU and US2 has never crashed on me and runs every simulation in the menu, plus several of my own, without hesitation or crashing. With Minecraft I get 100-225 fps.

Agree about retirement!!!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X