X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Widgets] Panel, icons, desktop

Hello,

I have four virtual desktops and decided to create a panel and place desktop icons within this panel in one of the desktops.

I created the panel and moved it to the left (vertical), and then moved the desktop icons into this panel.

Two problems:

I would like to enlarge the icons, but have lost the enlargement control.

I would like this panel in only one of my desktops, but it appears in all four, I may create similar panels in the other desktops, but for now, I would like this panel in one desktop.

Can anyone advise.

Thanks
    Last edited by anonprivate; Jan 17, 2017, 07:58 AM.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

IIUC the icons will resize to the panel, so if you want them bigger, make the panel wider.

John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      IIUC the icons will resize to the panel, so if you want them bigger, make the panel wider.

John Little
      The icon sizes seem invariant to the the panel width, excepting very small icons with a very narrow panel width.

Do you now how I can make the panel only appear on one of the virtual desktops?

Best wishes.

Ps. I have just conducted a quick search on this forum, and it appears that there is a problem with resizing icons in vertical panels:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...t=panels+icons

I tried putting a task manager widget in the panel, but could not resize any icons.

I have moved the panel to the top of the screen (horizontal) and the icons are now much larger.

However, I now have the same panel on all four desktops (as previously), rather than a custom panel on each virtual desktop.
      Last edited by anonprivate; Jan 17, 2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post

However, I now have the same panel on all four desktops (as previously), rather than a custom panel on each virtual desktop.
        are you still on 14.04 ,,,,,,,,,,their is a setting somewhere in system settings (I'm in Neon right now) for "diferent widgets on each desktop" or something like that .

I'll look at my 14.04 install later .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          are you still on 14.04 ,,,,,,,,,,their is a setting somewhere in system settings (I'm in Neon right now) for "diferent widgets on each desktop" or something like that .

I'll look at my 14.04 install later .

VINNY
          Yes, I am still on 14.04

I have had the box checked for individual widgets on each virtual desktop for ages. This works for icons, but it does nor seem to work for the added panel.

You state that you are in Neon. What is Neon?

Am I in what is called Plasma. If not, what am I in?

Best wishes

Comment

Yes, I am still on 14.04

I have had the box checked for individual widgets on each virtual desktop for ages. This works for icons, but it does nor seem to work for the added panel.
            strange ,,,,,I'll try that later ,,,maby,,,,,if I remember to boot to 14.04

You state that you are in Neon. What is Neon?
            https://neon.kde.org/ I just added the neon repo to a 16.04 install ,,,,,,that will not work on 14.04

Am I in what is called Plasma. If not, what am I in?

Best wishes
            yes you are in plasma ,,,,,plasma4 ,,,,,,16.04 gets plasma5 ,,,,,,,lots of difference's one of witch is no more different widgets on different desktops ,,,,you can get that effect however by using different activities instead of desktops.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for responding.

I have the panel at the tip of the desktop and this panel appears on all the virtual desktops.

At this stage, I can now re-introduce icons to the desktop that are particular to a particular desktop. I have only tried this on one desktop, and these icons do not appear on the others. The next stage is to re-introduce icons to the other desktops, and hope that they remain specific

I suppose a good use for this panel is to have icons available that are for general, rather than, specific use.

Best wishes

Comment

I now have some icons to the left of the desktop, but the alignment does not look that smart (unprofessional). If I can't scale the icons in a vertical panel, that would look more professional, is there a method to improve the style? - this is difficult to describe. I suppose more professional would be a better phrase.

Comment

Working...
                X