X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Desktop Icons for Webpages

Hello,

How can I create icons on the desktop that link to webpages?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Can you not right click the mouse on the desktop to display a menu and doers it not have the option to create a shortcut or URL link?
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Not on my system

Comment

How is your desktop set up?
        systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
        Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          How is your desktop set up?
          I don't understand the question. kubuntu

Comment

Ensure that you have Widgets unlocked on the Desktop.

Running Firefox browser:

Click and hold on the URL site icon in the browser URL window. If the site doesn't have an icon, then click and hold on the 'circle i' icon. Drag to the desktop and let go. When you see the Widgets box displayed, click on Icon.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Ensure that you have Widgets unlocked on the Desktop.

Running Firefox browser:

Click and hold on the URL site icon in the browser URL window. If the site doesn't have an icon, then click and hold on the 'circle i' icon. Drag to the desktop and let go. When you see the Widgets box displayed, click on Icon.
              I tried this with Yahoo Mail. An icon was created on the desktop along with a massive path that seems uneditable. There appears to be no control over the icon

Comment

you must highlight the whole URL then you can drag it to the desktop where it will create a widget for it
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                  you must highlight the whole URL then you can drag it to the desktop where it will create a widget for it
                  On my system, this makes a "Sticky Note" with the URL in it. AFAIK, you can't put Icons on the Desktop when using "Desktop" layout. You have to use "Folder View" layout.

Please Read Me

Comment

mine in "desktop" mode makes a little icon (icon wiget) that you can click on an it loads up firefox and opens the url when clicked.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      mine in "desktop" mode makes a little icon (icon wiget) that you can click on an it loads up firefox and opens the url when clicked.
                      Which is what it does in my explanation.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Where are these desktop modes and folder view layouts?

Comment

I am making progress

I have made some icon links to webpages and the icons on this virtual desktop are all the same size.

However, on another virtual desktop I have some icons which are smaller (geometrically) than the above, although each is of the same size.

My question is, how can I control the size of the icons that appear on the desktops?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                            Where are these desktop modes and folder view layouts?
                            Right click on the desktop, select "Configure Desktop," change "Layout" to "Desktop" or "Folder View."

There used to be more options. Basically, Desktop mode shows widgets on the desktop, not icons. Folder view shows the contents of a folder as icons, but no widgets - like the old Windows way of displaying a desktop.

IMO, the best option is to leave it in "Desktop" mode and have a Folder View widget. Then you have the best of both worlds. I have a larger folder view widget what a transparent background that displays the contents of my desktop folder as icons.

Here's a screenshot of half my desktop showing both the folder widget (on the far left) and also "Sticky Note" widget I get instead of icons like apparently the rest of you are. Must be because I have the "Notes" widget installed.
                            Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              Which is what it does in my explanation.
                              In your explanation you say you can use the sites icon or the (i) by the url.

I can not create the widget by draging those. It only works if I have the url highlighted and drag that to plasma workspace.

I can not make sticknotes by draging text to the desktop. (because my widgets are locked).

edit:

with the desktop widgets locked i can only make the url link by draging the url text from the location bar on firefox.

with the desktop widgets unlocked i can drag by icon or the (i) icon by the url or url text ..

and now after toggling lock / unlock a few times i can no longer add any widgets while widets are locked as expected. my desktop must have been in a super state between locked and unlocked widgets...
                              Last edited by sithlord48; Jan 01, 2017, 07:04 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                              X