Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How pick up openSUSE kernel command line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How pick up openSUSE kernel command line?

Grub2 in openSUSE picks up the Kubuntu kernel boot command line, but not the other way around. (I do need the entry "iommu=soft" to boot both distros with USB3)

In the OS that controls grub, edit /etc/default/grub, and add your entry to the line that says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX. If that's Kubuntu, or Suse if it's running KDE, that could be
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub
    The line might then look like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash iommu=soft"
    Then, run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, but I have not expessd my question clerly enough. Am using the entry you mention in /etc/default/grub and this works fine for both systems updating their own entry (10_linux). On the Kubuntu menu /boot/grub/grub.cfg the opensuse command line is unchanged, but on the opensuse menu the kubuntu command line is updated.

It seems that on opensuse update-grub 30-os-prober is reading (the updated) command line for kubuntu in kubuntu's grub.cfg!

So I cannot use the Kubuntu menu as default, which I would have preferred, as it does not work for opensuse.

Comment

Originally posted by hallergard View Post
        ...It seems that on opensuse update-grub 30-os-prober is reading (the updated) command line for kubuntu in kubuntu's grub.cfg!
        I doubted it, but you're right. I've got some old installs from an old machine on a disc I've moved into my new box; I edited the grub.cfg only, to remove a linux parameter, without starting that install, and update-grub picked up the change.

On my 16.04, the call stack is
        • update-grub
        • /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
        • /usr/bin/linux-boot-prober
        • /usr/lib/linux-boot-probes/mounted/50mounted-tests
        • /usr/lib/linux-boot-probes/mounted/40grub2

and that parses the grub.cfg.

So, I don't understand why update-grub on your Kubuntu is not finding the parameter you want from Suse's grub.cfg. Maybe there's a grub version mismatch and the parsing by /usr/lib/linux-boot-probes/mounted/40grub2 fails, just guessing. I can run that last script with
        Code:
        /usr/lib/linux-boot-probes/mounted/40grub2 /dev/sdb8 /dev/sdb8 /media/john/vivid/ ext4
        (after mounting a volume /dev/sdb8 labelled vivid in dolphin).

When all else fails, one can ignore that complex, frustrating, machinery and hand edit a grub.cfg; it can be much simpler than the generated ones. I did that for years on that old box. I just had a small partition just for grub so that no OS would muck around with it. I think in the long run it was less effort than allowing grub in one of the installs to control the boot.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks. Kubuntu picks up the command line of Linux Mint and vice versa. Tried borrowing the opensuse 30_os-prober (and editing its /boot/grub2 to /boot/grub) but it did not pick up the opensuse command line.

Yes, I have settled for a manual opensuse entry in 40_Custom which I will have to edit with every opensuse kernel update

Comment

Booted my old 16.04 yesterday, and to my surprise I found that it does pick up the full openSUSE command line (which 16.10 does not). Thought it must be a different version of Grub2, but NO! The same version (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.2) is used for my Mint 18 KDE, which does not pick up the openSUSE command line. Thought this was a Kubuntu problem, but now leaning towards it being an openSUSE problem. Have not got a clue though. Anybody?

Comment

Have to modify! Kubuntu and Mint do pick up the openSUSE command line if openSUSE is on a MBR disk, but not if openSUSE is on a GPT disk. Or maybe more correct Legacy install rather than UEFI mode install.

Comment

Working...
              X