Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I control which name servers to use in Kubuntu 16.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I control which name servers to use in Kubuntu 16.10?

I want to decide myself which name servers I use for surfing and not be controlled by what I get from dhcp or openvpn scripts.

I have tried all kinds of solutions to this problem but none has worked so far.

Like:
    # chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

# vi /etc/NetworkManager/networkManager.conf
    dns=none
    # service NetworkManager restart

# vi /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
    supersede domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

But I always end up with resolv.conf containing only:
    nameserver 127.0.0.53

That way I have no idea which nameservers are actually used. And it doesn't work with openvpn.
    It would be ok, in a way to use masq, but I want to control which name servers masq uses, or take care of resolv.conf manually.

Any idea how I should do this?

Grateful for any sugggestions (except the ones I've already tried)...

Use the NetworkManager GUI
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161124_123640.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	643410
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you're doing manual edits to resolv.conf, just add your desired nameservers to the "tail" file.

It possible 127.0.0.53 is coming from systemd. You should look in /etc/systemd/resolve.conf and see what's in there.

I see no reason to make resolv.conf immutable.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not really. dnsmasq or a locally installed vpn could be the culprit, but I don't use either.

Could be that "dns=none" in networkmanager isn't supported. AFAIK, the "correct" way to disable dnsmasg in networkmanager is to comment out the line entirely. You could try that.

I believe 127.0.0.53 is commonly used by a vpn service so you should probably start looking there if the above doesn't help.

Frankly, just wanting to control resolv.conf with no other reason seems unnecessary unless the the 127.0.0.53 is causing problems.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X