Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 14.04 LTS. Lots of problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 14.04 LTS. Lots of problems.

A few days ago I upgraded from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS. I waited this long because Plasma 5 appeared unfinished when I tried Kubuntu version 15.10 a year ago.
    The upgrade finished with errors and I had to spend several hours with apt-get before the system could boot properly into KDE. I managed to update most of the what I use and can now login and do some work, but many problems remain. The settings refused to open at first but now I can open them. The apps started with kdesudo were missing all of the icons but managed to correct this.
    I changed the theme back to Oxygen because, in my opinion, it looks much better than Breeze and is more usable.
    Here are some of the problems that I can't get rid off:
    1. Kickoff items not visible
      I can see that the items are there when I open KDE Menu Editor and the "Hidden Entry" checkbox is not checked, yet when I click on Kickoff button and navigate to where the item is located it's not there.
    2. Recent documents tab in Kickoff is empty
      The History tab is completely empty. Yet it does appear to track some of the recent documents because when I start typing in the search field on top of the menu it does bring up some of the recent documents.
    3. Dolphin incredibly slow opening folders with many items
      Dolphin has become extremely slow. When opening a folder in "details view mode" that contains many items it slowly checks the contents of each subfolder. And in the meantime it almost freezes. Even if I go back to a previous folder in the hierarchy it does it again, even though it did it only a few seconds ago. Very irritating.
    4. No preview on GTK themes
      In Trusty when I chose a GTK theme in the system settings there was a preview. Now I can't do it. The themes are there and I can change them yet there is no way for me to preview it. Packages "kde-config-gtk-style" and "kde-config-gtk-style-preview" are both installed yet no preview is showing in system settings.
    5. Notification panel too huge
      System notifications result in a huuugee panel in the lower right corner that obscures everything.
    6. Wallet at every login asks for gpg decryption passphrase
      At first it was asking me to create a gpg keys. Now I've done it and at every login the wallet app asks me for the passphrase.
    7. Screensavers and lock screen
      What happened to all the pretty screensavers? And why doesn't the lockscreen get activated automatically when the desktop's been idle for some time? If I activate it manually it does ask me for my login password when I try to get back but if I leave the machine for some time the lockscreen doesn't activate -- it just turns the monitor off and I can get back into desktop as soon as I move the mouse.

I hope someone can help me with these annoying problems.
    There are more problems here (the whole Plasma 5 feels like it's some half-baked beta release), but I'll wait and see if I can correct them myself.
    Thanks.

Personally, I've found fresh installs more trouble free than upgrading. Also, it often takes less time to reconfigure and restore data than to fix upgrade problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, but it's not very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Personally, I've found fresh installs more trouble free than upgrading.
        Upgrading 14.04 -> 16.04 is not recommended anyway.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/...eNotes/Kubuntu

14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS upgrade

WARNING: LTS to LTS upgrade to Xerus is currently problematic and should not be attempted. Please install a fresh copy of 16.04 instead. To prevent messages about upgrading, change Prompt=lts to Prompt=normal or Prompt=never in the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by zeron00 View Post
          Thank you for the reply, but it's not very helpful.
          Then allow me to put it more bluntly: reinstall using the latest 16.04 ISO image.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

What about full disk encryption and LVM? It was problematic in the 15.10 Kubuntu installer. Does it work now? A year ago, when I had to make a complete install, I had to use Ubuntu 14.04 server install ISO to install an Ubuntu server with LVM and LUKS-encryption and then install Kubuntu desktop on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeron00 View Post
              What about full disk encryption and LVM? It was problematic in the 15.10 Kubuntu installer. Does it work now? A year ago, when I had to make a complete install, I had to use Ubuntu 14.04 server install ISO to install an Ubuntu server with LVM and LUKS-encryption and then install Kubuntu desktop on top of it.
              I don't know. I've never had a reason to use either full disk encryption or LVM. I ran btrfs.

Comment

Working...
              X