This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use a run file to install nvidia driver

I need to use a run file but can't remember how to use it.

Using an on-line tutorial I used a run file one time but I've lost that link.

I want to purge current nvidia and install the 96.43.23 driver. So I will need to install the run file, purge nvidia and then install the rivers.

The run file is located in /home/my user name/Downloads/

The name of the package is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...23-driver.html

Ideas are appreciated.

Just change into the Downloads directory and type ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run (the file was made executable, yes?)
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 02, 2016, 09:50 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No it didn't become executable but then I remembered that maybe there is an sh before /NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run so I added it. Then I received a message that the run file is for the linux -x86 platform but you appear to be running the linux-x86_64. Aborting installation. Yep they are correct I am running 64 bit so now I need to find another file.

Thanks and now I know how to make the install executable.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Just change into the Downloads directory and type ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run (the file was made executable, yes?)

Comment

but to make sure this is even useful for you, what version of Kubuntu are you on, and what is your graphics card? That driver may not even build on systems newer than 12.04
        Last edited by claydoh; Nov 02, 2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

A really old HP laptop with a nvidia card. For years I had the legacy driver working on 14.04 LTS and then during an update, not sure when, things went back to neauvou. Neauvou doesn't play well with this old computer and that is why I was using a legacy driver. For a few years things were running really well untill it slipped back to neauvou.

I have nvidia 352 installed now and it is ok, I get the 1024 X 768 resolution, no over heating but it isn't as nice as it once was.

It is my mess around with Kubuntu computer.

A few years back there was a buntu forum where I got the info on how to install the legacy drivers. I don't have the link anymore and I think it was on a forum that is no longer up and running.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

but to make sure this is even useful for you, what version of Kubuntu are you on, and what is your graphics card? That driver may not even build on systems newer than 12.04

Comment

My FOUR year old Acer V3-771G has an NVIDIA GeFORCE GT 650M gpu and I followed the instructions on this web page to install nvidia-prime and nvidia-370. It worked like a charm. I had to force a reboot by using the power button but after that my NVIDIA behaves as if it was the primary GPU , not the secondary Integrated one. The nvidia-370 is the latest driver. the oldest is the 340.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes I did try to install that driver but after install the fan never stopped. After 10 minutes of listening to the fan I started to worry about heat frying the old computer, so I removed that driver. Replace with the 352 and no roaring fan. Weird?

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              My FOUR year old Acer V3-771G has an NVIDIA GeFORCE GT 650M gpu and I followed the instructions on this web page to install nvidia-prime and nvidia-370. It worked like a charm. I had to force a reboot by using the power button but after that my NVIDIA behaves as if it was the primary GPU , not the secondary Integrated one. The nvidia-370 is the latest driver. the oldest is the 340.

Comment

Does the 352 version include the nvidia configuration center that has a GPU temp display?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No it only has the X server setting and it is minimal compared to the other nvidia server setting that I once had (which ever one that was)

Does the 352 version include the nvidia configuration center that has a GPU temp display?

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                    No it only has the X server setting and it is minimal compared to the other nvidia server setting that I once had (which ever one that was)
                    Then I would start by installing the 370.28 and working my way down until I got one that worked WITH the configuration center that includes a panel that lets you choose which GPU to use.

Comment

That would also work. I tried the other way and started working my way up, the next driver after the 352. It ran the fans on high and then I reverted back. So I figured anything about that one would do the same. I think it is the Nvidia prime part that doesn't work for me.

Then I would start by installing the 370.28 and working my way down until I got one that worked WITH the configuration center that includes a panel that lets you choose which GPU to use.

Comment

That would also work. I tried the other way and started working my way up, the next driver after the 352. It ran the fans on high and then I reverted back. So I figured anything about that one would do the same. I think it is the Nvidia prime part that doesn't work for me.
                        Just be sure you PURGE both files before you try another. Starting with the most recent and working down till you find one that works will give you the most features.

Comment

Looking at my bash history it does look like I purged first. Sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
                          Then I installed nvidia-361

I just checked my logs and the nvidia-prime-upstart.log says -- Sorry but your hardware configuration is not supported. So I think that 352 is the max that my system will use?

Just be sure you PURGE both files before you try another. Starting with the most recent and working down till you find one that works will give you the most features.

Comment

Looking at my bash history it does look like I purged first. Sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
                            Then I installed nvidia-361

I just checked my logs and the nvidia-prime-upstart.log says -- Sorry but your hardware configuration is not supported. So I think that 352 is the max that my system will use?
                            The assumption being that if 352 supported it and 361 does not then later releases will not support it either. Seems logical, but what can you lose checking the others, except for a little time?

Comment

That's true.

The assumption being that if 352 supported it and 361 does not then later releases will not support it either. Seems logical, but what can you lose checking the others, except for a little time?

Comment

Working...
                              X