Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot write tilde [~] or caret ^ symbol in KDE after Kubuntu 16.10.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot write tilde [~] or caret ^ symbol in KDE after Kubuntu 16.10.

I have a Swedish keyboard and since upgrade to Kubuntu 16.10 I cannot write the tilde/caret character any more.
    The cursor moves, but no character emerges. And yes, I know you have to press the space after tilde.

I can write these characters in Firefox and Gimp though, so seems to be a KDE specific problem, as far as I can tell.
    And I have tried another keyboard, so no hardware problem.

Have can I get my precious tilde and caret key working again?
    Would appreciate any suggestions to help this situation.

/Göran

hmmm is GIMP "html friendly"?

woodwaaytoomuchhogsheadandlillitsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

where exactly it doesn't work? terminal?
      could it be maybe a wrong font that cannot display the character?

.b

Comment

Similar problem here

Originally posted by goranbr View Post
        I have a Swedish keyboard and since upgrade to Kubuntu 16.10 I cannot write the tilde/caret character any more.
        The cursor moves, but no character emerges. And yes, I know you have to press the space after tilde.

I can write these characters in Firefox and Gimp though, so seems to be a KDE specific problem, as far as I can tell.
        And I have tried another keyboard, so no hardware problem.

Have can I get my precious tilde and caret key working again?
        Would appreciate any suggestions to help this situation.

/Göran
        I also have been having problems. I migrated from Ubuntu 16.04 to Kubuntu 16.10, and can't get my keyboard to work correctly. Did you have any luck fixing it?

My goal is to setup the US Intl with dead keys layout, instead of Swedish like you, but it doesn' matter what I do, either when I press an accent key it'll show right away (not waiting for a vowel or space to come), either it'll do nothing. The funny thing is that on the terminal (pure terminal, not emulated like Konsole), it works as it should. On GTK-based apps it also does not work, in contrast to your situation.

I tried removing ~/.config/kxkbrc as well as .plasmashellrc, to no avail. I'd really appreciate some help, as I do a lot of Portuguese and French typing, for which those accented characters are crucial.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Where does it work....

Originally posted by bastian salmela View Post
          where exactly it doesn't work? terminal?
          could it be maybe a wrong font that cannot display the character?
          It does not work in Konsole, Kate or Kwrite at least.
          It does work in Gimp, Firefox, LibreOffice.

So it seems any other application than native KDE applications work fine.

Comment

Working...
          X