This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic User Interface does not start/work

Acer AM5630 machine, 64 bit quad core CPU 4Gb memory.
    ASUS EN6600 series Graphics Card, VGA & HDMI outputs, only VGA monitor connected.

After fresh install of 16.10, the system recommended installing the nVidea graphics driver on my machine. I accepted this, and the install appeared to complete correctly.

However, now the GUI doesn't work. I get a blank screen. tty1, tty2, etc. work, and I can login from them. If I login, and startx on the terminal, I get a mouse pointer on the screen, and it follows mouse movement, but that is all.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
    Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

Sounds like the same problem with the legacy Nvidia 304 driver as in this thread

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-nvidia-driver

also see

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t.../post/4998302/
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamColls View Post
      Acer AM5630 machine, 64 bit quad core CPU 4Gb memory.
      ASUS EN6600 series Graphics Card, VGA & HDMI outputs, only VGA monitor connected.

After fresh install of 16.10, the system recommended installing the nVidea graphics driver on my machine. I accepted this, and the install appeared to complete correctly.

However, now the GUI doesn't work. I get a blank screen. tty1, tty2, etc. work, and I can login from them. If I login, and startx on the terminal, I get a mouse pointer on the screen, and it follows mouse movement, but that is all.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
      Yes,

1. Switch to another distro

or

2. Switch back to 16.04

or

3. Switch to Intel graphics card
      systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
      Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

if you actually can start X from commandline, I would say this is the old SDDM problem that has been bothering people in past.
        you could try switching from sddm to something else, or, google for "sddm black screen".

.b

Comment

Working...
        X