This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakkety Shortcomings

I am impressed with the progress made since I posted a thread with the same name in the pre-release testing. All those points which I raised have been fixed and many aspects are now working very well.

The shortcomings that I have now found are:
    1. I have been able to install my HP Printer but the printer icon on the default panel which is present on Xenial and Trusty is not anywhere to be seen on Yakkety.
    2. Firefox takes a very long time to load
    3. After the system has been up for a long time, eg hours, there is jitter when moving a window. This is particularly evident when moving or scaling the Firefox window. Also, when the window icon is clicked to put a window down to the task bar, the image of the application remains on the desktop but disappears if another application is launched or an existing application is moved to wipe out the application image.
    4. Right mouse click on text that is in error requires a prolonged hold and then a repeat to access the options.
    5. I could not get LibreOffice Write to show any spelling errors.

I look forward to seeing the continued improvements to Yakkety.

Although I am now technically on Zesty, while on Yaketty up until and post release I had....

1. HP-systray icon is visible. In fact, getting the thing to go away and not auto-start is something I keep meaning to do, and forgetting.
    2. Firefox loads quickly here. Or at least with no discernible regression. May be worth you testing in in FF safe mode or with a clean profile.
    3. Uptime on this machine is now ~ 10 days. I have not noticed anything like you describe. Perhaps check/toggle the acceleration options in Firefox, or Kwin compositing. Or graphics card settings if you have one (e.g. Nvidia settings).
    4. Firefox again? If so, again, I cannot replicate.
    4. Ok here with British English. It says I have Hunspell dictionary files installed, so maybe check you have those for whatever language you need.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks very much for your detailed and helpful reply. Unfortunately I was compiling a reply to you on Yakkety and I lost it when all the applications crashed, so I am now doing it on Xenial.

I have now updated the spelling packages for LibreOffice to have hunspell-en-gb and hunspell-en-au and it is working very well.

I have noticed one contributing factor to Firefox taking a long time is that I have found "update-apt-xapi" consuming more cycles than Firefox. This process seems to sometimes start soon after Firefox.

The system that I have Yakkety installed on is a Compaq Presario All-in-One with AMD Dual-Core 1.6GHz processor and an AMD Palm video. In order to get some tolerable performance out of it, I upgraded the RAM to 7.46 MiB and I also installed an SSD which transfers at 261MB/s.

I still experience the problems that I referred to in my original post. I must say that I have installed xscreensaver packages and if these are active, the problems that I experience are more evident. I assume that Wayland is the main video driver now and there might be some interaction between packages using X and Wayland. When I checked my system, I had suspended the screen saver so that it did not interfere with the jitter effect and the screen not being updated sometimes.

Comment

Problems caused by Muon Packge Manager

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        Although I am now technically on Zesty, while on Yaketty up until and post release I had....
        I have thankfully found the culprit for my problems. I had installed muon and muon-updater and thee packages are resource hungry in that update-apt-xapi used considerable resources when in memory.

I have purged muon and muon-update from my system and now use synaptic as it is the only one of these two which allow the successful search and installation of multiple packages. I had installed muon to change my package source as synaptic did not provide this option.

With muon out of my system all is working very well now and I cannot fault it except for the absence on my HP icon in the system tray.

I have suspected that there are developers, including you, who are on this forum. I have identified some by those who provide expert advice but have a small number of posts.

Good to hear that you are working on Zesty. I have also wondered what name will be selected after Zesty. Will it start back at a name starting with "a"?
        Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 25, 2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          I have thankfully found the culprit for my problems. I had installed muon and muon-updater and thee packages are resource hungry in that update-apt-xapi used considerable resources when in memory.
          I can't say I really use Muon much apart from testing, as I tend to use other package managers/management methods.

When I do, or the same with synaptic, I do get some brief churn as expected with update-apt-xapian-index, but nothing that troubles my PCs or even virtual machines overly.

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          Good to hear that you are working on Zesty. I have also wondered what name will be selected after Zesty. Will it start back at a name starting with "a"?
          If it continues on trend, we won't find out from Mark any sooner than you, and that will not be until Zesty is done.

I could speculate, but so far I've not go one completely right yet!
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
          X