This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No WiFi on Thinkpad T410

I had problems with WiFi on 16.04 and did a clean install of 16.10 on a different drive hoping that the newer version would fix the problem. However, it seems that my WiFi works even worse on 16.10. I can't get the connection to stay up for more than a couple of seconds (eight pings is the best so far before the traffic stopped). I have tried
    • disconnecting and reconnecting
    • turning WiFi off and on with the network management applet
    • turning WiFi off and on with the "soft button"
    • turning Wifi off and on with the "hard button"
    • turning the computer off and then restarting
    • doing "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager"

After doing any of the above, a ping or two might go through but then nothing. On 16.04 the WiFi usually started working sooner or later with one of those steps, althought there was one case when I fiddled with the WiFi for 30 minutes and it still didn't start.
    wireless-info.zip
    Last edited by makelix; Oct 16, 2016, 09:52 AM. Reason: accidental posting

Code:
    [iwlwifi]
    filename:       /lib/modules/4.8.0-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
    license:        GPL
    author:         Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation <linuxwifi@intel.com>
    description:    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
    firmware:       iwlwifi-100-5.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-135-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-105-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-6000g2b-IWL6000G2B_UCODE_API_MAX.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-7265-17.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-3168-24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-8000C--24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-9260-th-a0-lc-a0--24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-9260-th-a0-jf-a0--24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-9000-pu-a0-lc-a0--24.ucode
    firmware:       iwlwifi-Qu-a0-jf-b0--24.ucode
    srcversion:     5916491CB41B355C975C3F8
    depends:        cfg80211
    intree:         Y
    vermagic:       4.8.0-22-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
    parm:           swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int)
    parm:           11n_disable:disable 11n functionality, bitmap: 1: full, 2: disable agg TX, 4: disable agg RX, 8 enable agg TX (uint)
    parm:           amsdu_size:amsdu size 0: 12K for multi Rx queue devices, 4K for other devices 1:4K 2:8K 3:12K (default 0) (int)
    parm:           fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (default true) (bool)
    parm:           antenna_coupling:specify antenna coupling in dB (default: 0 dB) (int)
    parm:           nvm_file:NVM file name (charp)
    parm:           d0i3_disable:disable d0i3 functionality (default: Y) (bool)
    parm:           lar_disable:disable LAR functionality (default: N) (bool)
    parm:           uapsd_disable:disable U-APSD functionality bitmap 1: BSS 2: P2P Client (default: 3) (uint)
    [B]parm:           bt_coex_active:enable wifi/bt co-exist (default: enable) (bool)[/B]
    parm:           led_mode:0=system default, 1=On(RF On)/Off(RF Off), 2=blinking, 3=Off (default: 0) (int)
    parm:           power_save:enable WiFi power management (default: disable) (bool)
    parm:           power_level:default power save level (range from 1 - 5, default: 1) (int)
    parm:           fw_monitor:firmware monitor - to debug FW (default: false - needs lots of memory) (bool)
    parm:           d0i3_timeout:Timeout to D0i3 entry when idle (ms) (uint)
    parm:           disable_11ac:Disable VHT capabilities (default: false) (bool)
    Is your BlueTooth interfering with your wifi?

Anyway, try:
    sudo killall wpa_supplicant
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Is your BlueTooth interfering with your wifi?

Anyway, try:
      sudo killall wpa_supplicant
      "sudo killall wpa_supplicant" disconnects the WiFi, or rather whatever there is left of it. Network manager applet shows no access points etc. Running "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager" brings wpa_supplicant back up. The access points become visible but the WiFi still doesn't work.

No idea about the Bluetooth. I don't think I have ever even tried that with this laptop.

Comment

I disabled all extra network stuff from the BIOS: Bluetooth, Wimax and modem. Didn't make a difference.

Comment

I got the WiFi to connect by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf:
          Code:
          options iwlwifi power_save=0
          I'm going to keep this thread open for a couple of days in case the problem returns, if that's okay? I found this solution over at Ubuntu Forums:
          https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2339439

Comment

Well, that was annoyingly fast. Just had a total system crash, and after rebooting the WiFi doesn't work any more. Tried all the tricks above already.

Comment

19 minutes.

The crash may have corrupted some files. Issue the following two command in a Konsole until they return nothing.

sudo apt-get -f install
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ran the commands, no problems.

Comment

My next step would be to reinstall the KDE desktop.
                  apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Was that command supposed to do something? It was like a two-second operation. I did a restart after that, no WiFi yet.

I also did a fresh install of Fedora 25 Beta KDE Spin on yet another drive earlier today just to test that it is actually possible to get the WiFi working on this computer on newer versions of kernel and KDE. It worked, kernel version was 4.8.1-1.fc25-x86_64 and KDE Plasma was at 5.8.1.

Comment

It would have done something if you had KDE components missing or damaged.

Your last run of wireless-info showed a connection (and Bluetooth was on):
                      Code:
                      ##### ifconfig ##########################

enp0s25: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
                              inet [COLOR=#ff0000]192.168.1.105[/COLOR]  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.1.255
                              inet6 fe80::75d5:4343:8dda:9c43  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
                              ether <MAC address>  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
                              RX packets 21  bytes 2490 (2.4 KB)
                              RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
                              TX packets 71  bytes 9454 (9.4 KB)
                              TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
                              device interrupt 20  memory 0xf2600000-f2620000  

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
                              inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
                              inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
                              loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)
                              RX packets 702  bytes 52618 (52.6 KB)
                              TX packets 702  bytes 52618 (52.6 KB)

wlp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
                              inet [COLOR=#ff0000]192.168.1.104[/COLOR]  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.1.255
                              inet6 fe80::5a94:6bff:fe47:b5c8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
                              ether <MAC address>  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
                              RX packets 296  bytes 43895 (43.8 KB)
                              TX packets 1268  bytes 192790 (192.7 KB)

##### iwconfig ##########################

enp0s25   no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp3s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"kanaverkko"  
                                Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: <MAC 'kanaverkko' [AC1]>   
                                [COLOR=#ff0000]Bit Rate=1 Mb/s  [/COLOR] Tx-Power=15 dBm   
                                Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
                                Power Management:on
                                Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-33 dBm  
                                Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
                                Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:55   Missed beacon:0

##### route #############################

Kernel IP routing table
                      Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
                      0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 enp0s25
                      0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    600    0        0 wlp3s0
                      169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 wlp3s0
                      192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     100    0        0 enp0s25
                      192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     600    0        0 wlp3s0

##### resolv.conf #######################

nameserver 127.0.1.1

##### network managers ##################
                      It also showed that you didn't have any DNS. You can add Google's DNS servers to your network settings. They are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

It would be interesting to run wifi-info again and see what has changed.

Comment

Your last run of wireless-info showed a connection (and Bluetooth was on):
                        That's the thing: I can get the configuration by DHCP, but that's the only thing that works. I might get one to eight pings thru, then nothing. Network manager applet thinks I'm connected, I guess it's because the configuration look ok to it.

It would be interesting to run wifi-info again and see what has changed.
                        The WiFi suddenly worked when I started the laptop, so I got a wifi-info dump from that. Afterwards, I did a suspend-resume cycle, after which the WiFi failed. So I have have a wifi-info dump of that too.

Some commentary: this time I had the Ethernet disconnected while running the script. Bluetooth is now disabled from the BIOS. Also, I changed the /etc/nsswitch.conf to fix the issue where hosts on the local network (like HOSTNAME.local) couldn't be reached (the commented line is the original line) even when connected via Ethernet:
                        Code:
                        #hosts:          files resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
                        hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns
                        And then there is the issue of my second access point, which seems to have gone from WPA2 to WPA1 for some reason. Haven't had the time or motivation to dig into it yet.

It also showed that you didn't have any DNS. You can add Google's DNS servers to your network settings. They are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
                        If you mean the empty resolv.conf, I'm in the understanding that it's not really in use anymore. In the section NetworkManager info you can see the line "IP4.DNS[1]: 192.168.1.1", which shows that the WiFi router is acting as the DNS.wireless-info-fail.zipwireless-info-ok.zip

Comment

This thread has been quiet for a week, so I was wondering if there might be other venues where I could go on about this? Like maybe Ubuntu Forums -> Ubuntu Official Flavors Support -> Networking & Wireless?

Comment

Originally posted by makelix View Post
                            I got the WiFi to connect by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf:
                            Code:
                            options iwlwifi power_save=0
                            Here's mine -
                            Code:
                            options iwlwifi led_mode=1 power_save=0 11n_disable=8 swcrypto=1
                            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

I noticed that about 30 minutes or so after booting up my wifi began its disconnect-reconnect loop, with most of the time spent "configuring" the wifi. I clicked the "Disconnect" button to stop the looping. Then I open systemd-gui in SystemSettings and right mouse on "NetworkManager.service". From the popup I click on "Reload". After that my wifi connection is stable usually for the rest of the day. However, random events that cannot consistently reproduce the problem often trigger the looping. For example, opening the KMail settings dialog can trigger looping *sometimes*. Same with opening the systemd-gui, *sometimes*. Ditto with FireFox and "about:config". These events are never consistently repeatable.

Disconnecting the wifi and then reloading NetworkManager.service is just a workaround.

One possible solution I've DDG'd is that the registered domain for the wifi is defaulted to "00".
                              I checked it with sudo iw reg get and it was "00". (Two zeros)
                              So, I checked my reg published domain code and found it to be "US".
                              I set it temporarily with
                              sudo iw reg set US
                              To permanently set it I edited crda
                              kdesudo kate /etc/default/crda
                              and set REGDOMAIN=US and then saved it.

Now I'll wait to see if that fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X