Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly not helpful but I haven't used network manager in years, preferring wicd because my wireless needs are fairly simple. If you do choose to install wicd-kde you'll need to purge *all* network manager packages or neither NM nor wicd will work
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
      Here's mine -
      Code:
      options iwlwifi led_mode=1 power_save=0 11n_disable=8 swcrypto=1
      Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      One possible solution I've DDG'd is that the registered domain for the wifi is defaulted to "00".
      I checked it with sudo iw reg get and it was "00". (Two zeros)
      So, I checked my reg published domain code and found it to be "US".
      I set it temporarily with
      sudo iw reg set US
      To permanently set it I edited crda
      kdesudo kate /etc/default/crda
      and set REGDOMAIN=US and then saved it.
      Thank you for your suggestions. I tried both of them but they didn't seem to make a difference. Restarting NetworkManager used to work somewhat reliably for me, but that has also gone downhill. Like I wrote somewhere before, my record is like 30 minutes of disconnecting, restarting and so on to no avail. So lately I've just been dragging an Ethernet cable around the house... I also found out that if I power up my laptop without the Ethernet cable and the WiFi fails to start properly, I get the text-based login prompt instead of the usual KDE one. When that happens, pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 gets me to the KDE login screen.
      Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
      Possibly not helpful but I haven't used network manager in years, preferring wicd because my wireless needs are fairly simple.
      That might be interesting to try, although in Fedora my WiFi worked fine and Fedora uses NetworkManager as far as I know/remember.

Comment

After disconnecting your wifi from the system tray, did you do a reload first and then a restart of the NetworkManager.service?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          After disconnecting your wifi from the system tray, did you do a reload first and then a restart of the NetworkManager.service?
          Yep, didn't seem to make any difference (when compared to just disconnecting and then restarting NetworkManager) as far as I can tell. Even the total system crash after a couple of times was the same :-) Or actually, previously when the computer crashed, it was stuck on a totally black screen except the extreme left side which had like a single column of flickering pixels. This time the computer automatically shut down after showing the black screen with the flickering pixels for a short time. So I guess that's some kind of progress. All in all, I'd say that the newer NetworkManagers don't like to be restarted.

Comment

A single column of pixels on the left side of the screen is indicative of a failure of the display's horizontal oscillator. Could be driver or hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I don't know if this the result of recent updates or the fact that I fixed my second access point, but the WiFi has worked like a charm for a couple of days now.

Comment

Originally posted by makelix View Post
                I don't know if this the result of recent updates or the fact that I fixed my second access point, but the WiFi has worked like a charm for a couple of days now.
                How did you fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had been wanting to try out DD-WRT, so I dug out an old Linksys, flashed it and configured it as an access point. Then I replaced the old access point that was showing WEP encryption with the DD-WRT/Linksys one. I also changed the cipher setting on my main router from TKIP and AES to just AES. So the access point isn't actually fixed but replaced at the moment, I guess that I wrote inaccurately before, sorry about that. Below is my current WiFi list as shown by nmcli:

Code:
                  SSID                 BSSID              MODE   CHAN  FREQ      RATE       SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY   ACTIVE  * 
                  kanaverkko           AC:F1:DF:51:24:CC  Infra  1     2412 MHz  54 Mbit/s  95      ▂▄▆█  WPA2       yes     * 
                  kanaverkko           00:14:BF:92:F8:1F  Infra  6     2437 MHz  54 Mbit/s  67      ▂▄▆_  WPA2       no        
                  Ossi                 00:71:C2:3E:1A:63  Infra  6     2437 MHz  54 Mbit/s  47      ▂▄__  WPA1 WPA2  no        
                  Ossi                 00:71:C2:39:5D:F6  Infra  48    5240 MHz  54 Mbit/s  24      ▂___  WPA1 WPA2  no        
                  0679b0               00:71:C2:3B:40:4C  Infra  6     2437 MHz  54 Mbit/s  20      ▂___  WPA1 WPA2  no        
                  mokkula_593190_2.4G  8C:34:FD:6C:03:EE  Infra  1     2412 MHz  54 Mbit/s  19      ▂___  WPA2       no

Comment

Ah, nice solution!
                    I purchased a Linksys E2500 router a few years ago. A couple months after I bought it I got a popup from Cisco stating that a firmware update required that I create an account in their new cloud server. I declined and did some research. It was reported by researchers that the new update had a back door in it and others said it was forced on Cicso by the NSA. Regardless, I downloaded the DD-WRT firmware for my router and burned it. Couldn't be happier. Access to all the features of the router, which Cisco's GUI didn't offer, were made available in the DD-WRT GUI. Since my router is less than three feet from my laptop I turned the Tx power down significantly so that it just reaches the bedroom 30 feet away. Too much Tx power is the primary reason for wifi hardware failures.

Comment

Working...
                    X