X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Desktops

Hi all

I have Kubuntu 16.10 on Dell Optiplex 980.

I have 4 virtual desktops: Home, Work, Clients and Sys.

Chrome is my browser.

How can I have separate backgrounds for each desktop and the ability to place icons, folders or widgets on a desktop so they are only on that desktop and do not show on all 4.

Thanks

Plasma 5 disabled the ability to have different widgets and backgrounds on different virtual desktops. To achieve that goal you will need to create 4 different Activities.
    Lenovo T460s

Comment

Originally posted by DrGeoffrey View Post
      Plasma 5 disabled the ability to have different widgets and backgrounds on different virtual desktops. To achieve that goal you will need to create 4 different Activities.
      Thanks

I tried this but I still get whatever activity I activate on all 4 desktops at the same time. I could live with that but I would really like to have separate icons or folders on individual desktops.

Is this possible?

Comment

From everything I've read/experienced, you can get different widgets and backgrounds only be switching to a new activity, not by switching virtual desktops. I've heard some rumors that this may change in a future update, but they are only rumors.

This feature-kill is particularly annoying to those of us who favor keyboard shortcuts, which still do not work with Activities.
        Lenovo T460s

Comment

Many thanks.

Originally posted by DrGeoffrey View Post
          From everything I've read/experienced, you can get different widgets and backgrounds only be switching to a new activity, not by switching virtual desktops. I've heard some rumors that this may change in a future update, but they are only rumors.

This feature-kill is particularly annoying to those of us who favor keyboard shortcuts, which still do not work with Activities.

Comment

Originally posted by brianharr View Post
            Thanks

I tried this but I still get whatever activity I activate on all 4 desktops at the same time. I could live with that but I would really like to have separate icons or folders on individual desktops.

Is this possible?
            Have you tried one desktop per activity and using <meta> <tab> to walk through them?

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
              Have you tried one desktop per activity and using <meta> <tab> to walk through them?
              +1 ,,,,,yup , in effect the only way to have different wallpapers/widgets on different desktops is to use activity's and yes you can easily walk through them with meta+tab

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X