This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live USB reboot loop, Debian working

Ok so after the loss of a couple of HDDs i needed to rearrange my system to fix some Raid arrays. The downside being it was time to reinstall as my former OS drives had be used elsewhere. But thats fine a clean install of Kubuntu never hurts right? Sadly wrong

This system ran a rolling upgrade since Kubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 without issue.

Now when i attempt to boot from a Live USB to install 16.10 the computer gets past the Kubuntu splash screen and then reboots.

Spent hours testing hardware trying to track down my issue without luck and even tried Mint 18 KDE which has the exact same problem. As a last resort i tried Debian KDE and to my surprise it worked without issue. So now i have it running on Debian 8 (Jessie) and i know the hardware is fine.

Debian is a bit behind the times to put it mildly and i want my Kubuntu back so any help appreciated.

System is
    i7 4930k
    ASUS Rampage IV black ( Intel x79 chipset)
    64GB RAM
    ASUS 780 Vid Card
    LSI 9260 Raid Card

Much Googling leads me to suspect its something to do with my chipset not getting along with the live usb and have tried assorted changes to the boot settings from grub. Sadly i have no idea what im doing and most of what im finding is suggestions for much older versions of Kubuntu.

If i can run anything on Debian that can help track down the problem im more than happy to.

Been running assorted versions of Ubuntu since 6.10 so kinda shocked im stuck like this as hardware support has gotten so much better over the years that only rare stuff like TV cards has caused me drama of recent....

Edit: Pulling down the latest Ubuntu (only 4hrs to go....) now to try that and confirm if its just a Kubuntu issue of both.
    Last edited by Clownius1; Oct 15, 2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: Added info of more testing im trying

pull the "raid" card and see what happens ,,,I'm not posative but I think hardware raid can be problematic for linux some times ,,,,,google it.

an FYI if you install a BTRFS file system it has it's own "raid" setup you can use if you want raid .

BUT I may be way off base ,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Unfortunately my motherboard doesnt support the 16 drives currently in my computer.

But for troubleshooting purposes as soon as Ubuntu is downloaded i will give it a shot.

I seriously doubt its the issue though as the LSI 9260 SaS Raid card and the many other versions of the same card is very well supported by Linux and used in a huge number of servers today. I know IBM and Dell rebrand the same cards as well for their servers.

Whats really confusing me though is everything worked fine when i had the 16.04 installed on the system before this but 16.04 has the same problem now too....

Edit: Tested with Raid cards removed and no change. Will be testing Ubuntu next.
      Last edited by Clownius1; Oct 15, 2016, 10:20 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Ubuntu also fails exactly the same way

Ok so out of desperation i grabbed a copy on 14.04.1

I got some sort of crash message instead of just a reboot at least. But it seems Debian doesnt like my Android device.....

Will edit with more info from my mobile hopefully. Really unimpressed with Debian right now. It seems nothing just works unlike my past experince with Kubuntu.

Edit: Error photos https://imgur.com/gallery/ySa60

Please excuse the horrible mobile phone pictures. I couldnt think of another way to actually capture the error message as it only lasts 30 seconds. At some point when its not 5am i will sit down and type these out so they can be read more easily. Driven myself insane enough for one night
        Last edited by Clownius1; Oct 15, 2016, 12:03 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

Working...
        X