X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.10 - Upgrade being flagged but nothing happens

Hi,

I have tried to upgrade my two Kubuntu machines to 16.10 but without success. The two machines are a Dell Optiplex and a Dell XPS-13 DE and both are at 16.04. Here is what happens:

1. The New version is flagged and I open the Software Center.
    2. The Upgrade button shows and I click on it.
    3. I am prompted for my password and I enter it.
    4. Nothing!! No apparent activity, no download commencing and less than 5% in each CPU core.

When I try to do the upgrade through the console, using; sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get upgrade then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I get the usual messages as the sources are checked but there is nothing to do.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening?

PS, I have a new Router, but normal updates have been working fine since I got it.

The methods you are trying are ones that check and apply updates to your current kubuntu version, not an upgrade to a new kubuntu version.

In the K menu or krunner, run 'update-manager'.

You should then get:

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      The methods you are trying are ones that check and apply updates to your current kubuntu version, not an upgrade to a new kubuntu version.

In the K menu or krunner, run 'update-manager'.
      Actually, I have tried both methods and the Upgrade button appears in both, with the same result.

I just didn't mention it in my post.

Comment

Clarifying my last post; when i say that I've tried both methods, I mean the Software Center and the Update Manager. Both tools show the 'Upgrade' button (and I'm not confusing it with the 'Update' button).

Also, are you saying that 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' does not trigger a full distro upgrade? It certainly does in Raspbian.

Comment

Make sure that the package ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt is installed.

Alternatively for a terminal upgrade, you can do 'sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop'.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by TerryJC View Post
            Also, are you saying that 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' does not trigger a full distro upgrade? It certainly does in Raspbian.
            Correct. It does not.

Comment

Make sure that the package ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt is installed.
              That was it. Many thanks.

Why would that have been missing? Kubuntu 16.04 was a clean installation.

Comment

OK. See now: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1633692

Thanks

Comment

Thanks. Now I understand.

Comment

Working...
                  X