This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Application Color Scheme question

I use a customised Application Color scheme. It took some time and trial and error to get it the way I want it, and of course I don't want to have to do it over.

However I want to change one aspect of it, specifically I want to change scrollbars because currently I find that they don't stand out enough.

I can't see how Edit my currently active "color scheme" - The "Edit Scheme" button does nothing until you select a scheme from the list and then it loads that one into the Scheme editor, which is not what I want since I don't want to start over.

I don't know if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Tahaan; Oct 09, 2016, 10:30 AM. Reason: Make it more sane

Edit the customized color scheme you created. IT should reside somewhere within your /home directory
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can see some of the "interim steps" as I worked on the theme/colors, but none of them match the current, final version.

Comment

Originally posted by Tahaan View Post
        I can see some of the "interim steps" as I worked on the theme/colors, but none of them match the current, final version.
        Have you saved the current version yet? I save mine with the date I saved them as part of the filename; then if I mess something up I can fix it
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Please that's exactly what I want to do.... I can't find a way to do that!!!!

Is there a way I can do it from the command-line? Otherwise perhaps I can create a new user on another distribution I have installed, Import those settings into that user's profile, use the older version of the GUI there and save it, and then bring that back to my Neon environment.

Comment

In systemsettings --> colors the theme you're currently using should be labeled "Current". Just click the "Save As" button on the right and give the color scheme a name.

If you customize a color scheme it's kept in ~/.local/share/color-schemes. You should be able to find it there and drop it in your Neon setup.

Hope this helps -
            -- anais nin

Comment

Frustratingly I have Neither "Current" nor any "Save" button. This is what the new interface looks like

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colors - — System Settings_038.png
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	643340

If I select any one of the saved schemes, I can edit it and save that to a new name. However I have no way of accessing the currently active set.

Comment

Here is what my "Color" GUI looks like. I saved the "Current" scheme as "jlk_scheme" and it immediately appeared in the list.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161010_141504.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	643342
                Stock 16.04 fully updated and with systemd-gui, systemd-ui, kde-config-systemd and associated apps installed. It brings in a lot of KDE and Qt gui libraries.
                ~$ apt-cache depends kde-config-systemd
                kde-config-systemd
                Depends: systemd
                systemd:i386
                Depends: libc6
                Depends: libgcc1
                Depends: libkf5auth5
                Depends: libkf5configwidgets5
                Depends: libkf5coreaddons5
                Depends: libkf5i18n5
                Depends: libkf5kiocore5
                Depends: libkf5widgetsaddons5
                Depends: libqt5core5a
                Depends: libqt5dbus5
                |Depends: libqt5gui5
                Depends: libqt5gui5-gles
                Depends: libqt5widgets5
                Depends: libstdc++6
                Depends: libsystemd0
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 10, 2016, 01:24 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interesting. I'm seeing the same thing - Plasma 5.8 on Debian Unstable -

-- anais nin

Comment

Ah. Figgered it out. Edit whatever scheme you like and when you're done you'll get a prompt for a name. The save button is grayed out unless you actually make a change to a color scheme.

Hope this helps -
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Edit the customized color scheme you created. IT should reside somewhere within your /home directory
                      They're in ~/.local/share/color-schemes. OP could just copy one of them and edit away
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                        Ah. Figgered it out. Edit whatever scheme you like and when you're done you'll get a prompt for a name. The save button is grayed out unless you actually make a change to a color scheme.

Hope this helps -

mmmm.... So which GUI is the more recent? Mine colord and colord-data (assuming that is the package) is 1.2.12-1ubuntu1
                        And, what if you wanted to make a backup of a scheme BEFORE you made in changes, just in case?

Personally, it seems that the package you guys are using is poorly designed and lacking features compared to the one in my installation. (Options, Colors, Disabled). I'm going to watch and make sure it isn't "updated" if yours is the newer one.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 10, 2016, 03:31 PM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          mmmm.... So which GUI is the more recent? Mine colord and colord-data (assuming that is the package) is 1.2.12-1ubuntu1
                          And, what if you wanted to make a backup of a scheme BEFORE you made in changes, just in case?
                          I purged colord months ago, GG - this appears to be a frameworks thing, I think. Pretty sure colord is for managing hardware color profiles for printers and scanners and such.

Running Plasma 5.8 and Frameworks 5.26.0.

edit: Which is more recent? Probably mine and OP's - Debian just released 5.8 in Sid over the weekend. Mine looked just like yours until I opened it this afternoon
                          Last edited by wizard10000; Oct 10, 2016, 03:39 PM.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

You are, no doubt, right about colord. Colord has been a constant source of system log errors during bootup but didn't seem to bother my installation. I guess I'll follow your lead and either uninstall it or mask it, since my printer is a monotone laser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              You are, no doubt, right about colord. Colord has been a constant source of system log errors during bootup but didn't seem to bother my installation. I guess I'll follow your lead and either uninstall it or mask it, since my printer is a monotone laser
                              Same here. I talked the spousal unit out of getting another color printer and have a B/W duplexing Brother laser that works just fine with Linux and only cost me about a Franklin and a half. Saw colord back when I was running fluxbox, wondered WTH it was and finally just uninstalled it. One less unneeded resource

BTW, that big, heavy HP Color Laserjet 2605dn that I did have is now happily keeping the boat from floating away as a set of OEM toner costs more than the printer did. Done paying the HP tax, honest
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X