This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] logs filling up with PCIe bus errors, can't disable

I have just done a fresh install of KDE Neon user edition (system setup described in my signature - it's the first machine listed there).

I am experiencing the same error described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/77189...rity-corrected
    In my case, although I see the errors fill the screen when booting, they don't interfere with anything, I can boot as normal. However, as long as my system is running, these errors fill up the kernel and system logs to the point where my used disk space is increasing by gigabytes each hour.

Prior to installing Neon, I was using Kubuntu 16.04, and although I had the same error there, I was able to disable it by adding pci=noaer to the bootline. I tried the same thing with my Neon installation but it had no effect. I also added pci=nomsi for good measure; no luck.

Any suggestions? I could possibly work around the issue by setting up a cron job to routinely clear the logs, but someone suggested the constant writing to disk might actually harm it in the long run. I'd rather stop it happening altogether.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I seem to have found a solution, albeit a bit of a hack.
    In this thread:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=292543

I tried the masking trick:
    systemctl mask systemd-journald.service

Now my logs aren't filling up anymore, hard disk isn't making constant creaking noises, and CPU usage is even lower! nice.
    Last edited by dbaker; Oct 09, 2016, 05:16 AM.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

That is a solution, but it shuts down journalctl listing all together.
      Individual services have conf files that can be edited in systemd-gui to selectively turn off logging for the offending service. That will allow future problems to warn you in the journal.

Here is the systemd-gui:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sysstemd-gui.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	643337
      When you select one of the entries and then click on the "Conf" tab you will get this screen:

Name:	systemd-gui-conf.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	643338
      You can click on the right column adjacent to the property you want to change and that column entry will change to a drop-down combo box. Select the appropriate destination. Then save (apply) the changes.
      For a specific PCI service, you can modify the "LogTarget" or the "DefaultStandardOutput", or both, to another destination.

That way, all the other services, even other PCI services, can continue logging and warn you if a problem arises.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this ability to use systemd-gui (systemd-ui) is one reason why I've become a fan of systemd. It is a one point of control of ALL system services, devices, sockets, targets, mounts, automounts, swaps, paths, timers (cron), etc...

Why Systemd?
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 09, 2016, 08:53 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I installed systemd-ui but it looks a bit different to your screenshot and doesn't have a "conf" tab and I couldn't figure out what to do with it:

Name:	Screenshot_20161010_143048.png
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	643339

Comment

That is the poor version. That';s what I had running initially as well. Then I noticed that Neon had the good version and I compared what I had installed with what Neon had installed.
          I installed
          systemd-gui (which is a transitional package for systemd-ui)
          but I also installed (or systemd-gui did, I don't remember which)
          python3-systemd
          systemd-manager
          kde-config-systemd
          libsystemd0
          libsystemd-sysv
          libpam-systemd

I think that kde-config-systemd is the one that creates the better gui, but that is just a guess.

:~$ apt-cache rdepends systemd-ui
          systemd-ui
          Reverse Depends:
          systemd
          systemd
          systemd
          systemd-gui
          and
          :~$ apt-cache rdepends systemd-sysv
          systemd-sysv
          Reverse Depends:
          initramfs-tools
          libpam-systemd
          systemd-sysv:i386
          |init
          upstart-sysv
          libpam-systemd
          initramfs-tools
          |init
          xfce4-session
          tuxonice-userui
          systemd-cron
          |numad
          gpsd
          freeipa-server
          dbus-user-session
          upstart-sysv
          ubuntu-standard
          libpam-systemd
          friendly-recovery
          |init
          and
          :~$ apt-cache depends kde-config-systemd
          kde-config-systemd
          Depends: systemd
          systemd:i386
          Depends: libc6
          Depends: libgcc1
          Depends: libkf5auth5
          Depends: libkf5configwidgets5
          Depends: libkf5coreaddons5
          Depends: libkf5i18n5
          Depends: libkf5kiocore5
          Depends: libkf5widgetsaddons5
          Depends: libqt5core5a
          Depends: libqt5dbus5
          |Depends: libqt5gui5
          Depends: libqt5gui5-gles
          Depends: libqt5widgets5
          Depends: libstdc++6
          Depends: libsystemd0
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 10, 2016, 11:05 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, I found it! Installing kde-config-systemd gave me the nicer GUI, it shows up as "Systemd: configure the systemd daemon" when I search in the launcher.

I set the DefaultStandardOutput of the rogue service to null, hope that's right.
            I then reversed the masking I did earlier using:
            Code:
            systemctl mask systemd-journald.service
            I'll keep you posted on whether it works.

UPDATE: I've rebooted since taking the steps mentioned in this post and so far there have been no PCIe bus errors written to the log, or displayed during boot. Looks like it worked!
            Last edited by dbaker; Oct 11, 2016, 03:24 AM.

Comment

logs filling up with PCIe bus errors, can't disable

Great!
              BTW, the new Systemd GUI should be at the bottom of the systemsettins5 GUI, in a section by itself.

Using the GUI makes controlling the services and other things as easy as falling off a log.

16.04 is only half way between Upstart and full Systemd control. This is evident by the number of scripts still in /etc/init, and the fact that 16.04 still has upstart installed and running at boot up. RedHat's latest release does not have any scripts in /etc/init.d. Everything is controlled by systemd.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 11, 2016, 06:47 AM.

Comment

ah yep, it's showing up in system settings now. it wasn't there before.

as easy as falling off a log... a log, eh... I'm sure that pun wasn't intended but it's a good'un!

Comment

Working...
                X