This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 3.5.4 for Kubuntu

Is anyone finding 3.5.4 a bit sluggish compared to previous versions?

When KDE is launched one thing quite noticeable is it takes more time
    to be fully up and operational, as witness to the bouncing "K" which goes
    away after a brief time.

Comment

3.5.3 was definitely the fastest so far. I'm not really sure about 3.5.4...

Btw, I think that the bouncing can be set to disappear after some time, and that it's not an actual and accurate indication of how fast an app launches. Not really sure though.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Sorry if this is a really dumb n00b question (and I am new to Ubuntu, and to Debian-based systems in general, so...)

I didn't see any upgrade packages in Adept; I've enabled the universe and multiverse repositories as well. The only KDE stuff is 3.5.2; I can't see 3.5.4, let alone 3.5.3.

Note that I'm running the 686 kernel, so if there are no binaries for that yet, fine, I can understand that (I'll try with my amd64 at home tonight.) Is the deb src pkg going to be available on the repository as well, or am I going to need to download source and build/install KDE outside of the package management tools?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Whenever an app is launched the appearance of the icon usually indicates it's loading, including something like KDE startup, though if there's a setting I'm certainly interested in knowing it.   

Comment

Originally posted by avitous
            I didn't see any upgrade packages in Adept; I've enabled the universe and multiverse repositories as well.  The only KDE stuff is 3.5.2; I can't see 3.5.4, let alone 3.5.3.
            You'll need to edit your sources.list file to include one of the mirrors linked in the very first post of this thread.

Comment

Sorry if this is a really dumb n00b question (and I am new to Ubuntu, and to Debian-based systems in general, so...)

I didn't see any upgrade packages in Adept; I've enabled the universe and multiverse repositories as well.  The only KDE stuff is 3.5.2; I can't see 3.5.4, let alone 3.5.3.

Thanks in advance...
              Here. You are welcome
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...30418#msg30418

Comment

Originally posted by actinic
                Whenever an app is launched the appearance of the icon usually indicates it's loading, including something like KDE startup, though if there's a setting I'm certainly interested in knowing it.   
                Hi Actinic

Code:
                KMenu -> System Settings -> Panel -> Launch Feedback
                Is that what you need ?

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano

I didn't see any upgrade packages in Adept; I've enabled the universe and multiverse repositories as well. The only KDE stuff is 3.5.2; I can't see 3.5.4, let alone 3.5.3.

Thanks in advance...
                  Here. You are welcome
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...30418#msg30418
                  Well, thank you very much!
                  That did help. Tonight I added the repository link noted in the above topic and it worked admirably in my AMD64x2 environment; earlier today I had looked at http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-354.php
                  ...and didn't see anything upgradeable, at least from adding
                  Code:
                  deb [url]http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-354[/url] dapper main
                  to my sources.list... 'Full Upgrade' yielded nothing at all (and the installed KDE version remained at 3.5.2.) I'm also running the i686 kernel at work, so perhaps compatible binaries weren't available from that repository...?

Works for me! Thanks again,
                  Anderson

Comment

'Full Upgrade' yielded nothing at all (and the installed KDE version remained at 3.5.2.) 
                    Did you remember to click 'Fetch updates' to refresh the package lists before clicking 'Full Upgrade'?

I'm also running the i686 kernel at work, so perhaps compatible binaries weren't available from that repository...?
                    With i686 kernel you still use i386 (as opposed to AMD64, PPC etc.) architecture packages/repositories...so the packages are compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                      'Full Upgrade' yielded nothing at all (and the installed KDE version remained at 3.5.2.) 
                      Did you remember to click 'Fetch updates' to refresh the package lists before clicking 'Full Upgrade'?
                      Good point. Also, open the repositories list again and make sure that the kde-latest repository is still there (if you don't push the right buttons in the right order, Adept will not add it, I hope they fix this).

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                        Code:
                        KMenu -> System Settings -> Panel -> Launch Feedback
                        Is that what you need ?
                        It made no difference.

Comment

This thread is gettig out of hand with too many different topics, that may or may not relate to the title, (like the unfollowable threads over at UF.O), so I'm going to split it. HERE

Comment

Working...
                          X