This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub issues after dual boot

Hello, I am experiencing some issues with my grub and access to kubuntu. I had dual booted my kubuntu with the pre installed windows 7 and everything was smooth and fine until recently when the pre installed windows 7 ultimate on my laptop became Unstable and stopped running all applications, so I decided it was time to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I moved all my files to the Kubuntu partition and I knew they were safe there as I removed Windows 7 and installed windows 10. The installation went smoothly and everything seemed to be in order but now when I boot, it goes straight into windows without bringing up the grub menu i'm used to.
    Yesterday i live booted kubuntu from my Flash Drive and I saw everything was okay but I couldn't access my home partition.
    The error was
    " error mounting dev/sdb1 at /media/kubuntu/Kubuntu 16.04LTS amd64: Command-line 'mount -t "iso9660" -o

Please Help.

Happens a lot.
    Does F9 bring up a boot menu? (sometimes it is F11 or F12)

You still have Kubuntu on your HD, so hopfully all you need to do is repair the grub install on the HD. Is your computer BIOS or EUFI ? Did you originally install grub on /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?

From you liveCD you can run
    man grub-install
    for more info on how to use it. Or, check this out:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/65438.../655080#655080
    which shows:
    Code:
    Again, using your Ubuntu Live CD, type:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    but if your computer uses eufi then don't use MBR. Reinstall grub on it's original location. The tool, rEFInd, will help. You can get it here:
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

Ubuntu—Although an official Ubuntu package isn't available, I've created a rEFInd PPA for Ubuntu. To use it, open a Terminal window and type
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:rodsmith/refind
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install refind
    to install the package. You'll be asked to decide whether to install rEFInd to the ESP when you first install it. Thereafter, the rEFInd version will update along with your other software. This package is built with GNU-EFI and is not signed with a Secure Boot key; however, the install script should sign the binary with a locally-generated key if it detects that your system uses Secure Boot. Thus, if you've previously installed one of my binaries on a Secure Boot system and added its key as a MOK, you'll have to add your local key when you reboot.
    WARNING:
    Warning: Ubuntu 16.04's sbsigntool package has a bug that causes the sbsign utility to crash randomly. (See this bug report for details.) When installing Ubuntu with Secure Boot active from the PPA, this bug will be triggered and is likely to prevent successful installation. Therefore, I recommend you disable Secure Boot or install from the Debian package (with the sbsigntool package uninstalled) to avoid this problem. This bug does not exist in Ubuntu 15.10 and earlier.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 19, 2016, 10:32 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm not surprised this happened, as you installed Windows 10 recently and so it took priority in booting (it took the booting away from GRUB and gave it to Windows bootloader). Basically, I think you just need to re-install GRUB. Whatever your firmware (BIOS or the newer UEFI), Boot Repair usually seems to fix these things automatically (when you run it):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Okay, so I've downloaded the Boot-repair .iso file. How do I even install it? I usually just install stuff (only one application thus far) by placing it on the desktop and just clicking. then it installed. but this one (along with kodibuntu.iso) always open up with the software for burning cds(Kburner I think). So i tried the sudo apt install Kodibuntu.iso and it responded unable to locate package.
        So I asked a friend who's less of a newbie to linux, and he told me to change directory to where the Kodibuntu.iso was and so I did, but it still said the same thing, unable to locate package.
        I also feel I should add that I was doing all this offline.
        So... Can you please explain to me how to go about installing the .iso files?... or rather installing Applications in general...

Comment

First, applications in general: As a Linux newbie you should ALWAYS and ONLY install apps that are in the repository that your package manager connects to. There are some 80,000+ packages in it and they are all vetted. IF you download some *.deb from who knows where, even popular websites, and install it then the security of your system is suspect.

Now the ISO. After you have verified the checksum of the ISO (check sums are printed on the website), open a CDROM burner and burn it as an "image" to CD or DVD ROM. Or, use dd to burn it to either a ROM or a USB stick. Then boot the CDROM or USB stick.

dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter]

bs=8M will make it faster. To find "X" of /dev/sdX use
          sudo fdisk -l
          Unless you have two HD's your USB will probably be /dev/sdb

To burn to a CDROM do
          cdrecord --scanbus
          That command gave this for me:
          Code:
          scsibus4:
                  4,0,0   400) 'Slimtype' 'DVD A  DS8A5SH  ' 'XA15' Removable CD-ROM
                  4,1,0   401) *
                  4,2,0   402) *
                  4,3,0   403) *
                  4,4,0   404) *
                  4,5,0   405) *
                  4,6,0   406) *
                  4,7,0   407) *
          It shows that my cdrom is at 4,0,0. So, I'd use
          cdrecord -v -dao dev=4,0,0 speed=1 file.iso
          If you get a permission failure put sudo in front of cdrecord.
          Speed=1 is slow but it will give you the best likelyhood of a favorable burn.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hello. THANK YOU... It worked like a charm, everything's back to normal as before.
            The Boot-repair worked perfectly.
            I was also wondering, if I wanted to make my Kubuntu partitions visible on Windows, what file system would I use when Mounting the partitions? The ext4 is not accessible to Windows, such that, I can access my windows files from Kubuntu but not Vice Versa. I would like it to be both ways if possible. and I didn't see an NTFS format when installing Kubuntu.

Comment

You can get ext4 support in Windows. See http://www.ext2fsd.com. That's read/write, there's no-install readers too.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                You can get ext4 support in Windows. See http://www.ext2fsd.com. That's read/write, there's no-install readers too.

Regards, John Little
                Works very well too, though I have my only as READ ONLY as I don't want Windows making changes to what I consider my primary system.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  Works very well too, though I have my only as READ ONLY as I don't want Windows making changes to what I consider my primary system.
                  Excellent advice!
                  Ext2fsd has a history of corrupting Linux file systems in the write mode. It's a problem with the inode size. The default was 128 but some installations have 256 or larger. Check your inode size and then set ext2fsd to match.

From their home page:
                  WARNINGS: The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,
                  since there might be software conflicts and I could only test it
                  on some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care and
                  use it at your own risk!
                  FAQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Q) What systems could Ext2Fsd 0.50 support

A) Windows 2000, xp, 2003, Vista, Win7 (X86, AMD64)
                  Windows NT 4.0 is no longer supported....
                  Supported Ext3/4 features :
                  1. flexible inode size: > 128 bytes, up to block size
                  2. dir_index: htree directory index
                  3. filetype: extra file mode in dentry
                  4. large_file: > 4G files supported
                  5. sparse_super: super block backup in group descriptor
                  6. uninit_bg: fast fsck and group checksum
                  7. flex_bg: first metadata group
                  8. extent: reading, writing, deleting, everything
                  9. journal: only support replay for internal journal

Unsupported Ext3/4 features:
                  1. journal: log-based operations, external journal
                  2. EA (extended attributes), ACL support
                  3. 64-bit block number

It works on WIndows up to Win7, and some claim it works on Win8.1
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 24, 2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I'm using it on Windows 10 successfully to date if that is any clue.

Comment

Working...
                    X