This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sata raid controller

Does anyone know if the Vantec UGT-ST644R 4channel sata PCIE raid host card is compatible with Kubuntu in particular and/or linux in general? No info on their site. No linux install seems to see either raid 0 or raid 1 on my motherboard (MSI 990FXA.) It sees the drives as individuals. Looking for a solution that will use 2 SSDs in raid 0, 2 4TBs in raid 1, and 2 3TBs (haven't decided how to use them yet.)

BTW, this all works in windows 7 (don't like or want win8 or win10) and is blazingly fast

https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx2W6...sin=B00EA0WMOS

Comment

Says the card will work. Just wondering if the raid will work. Don't have to use raid, but would like to

Comment

Just my opinion: Hardware RAID is a bad idea.

I suggest if you want to try out RAID, use mdadm software RAID instead. Performance is comparable, it's cost-free, totally easy to set up (no re-cabling of drives), and unlike if your hardware RAID controller dies; any computer can reassemble and read your mdadm RAID. If your hardware RAID dies, you'd better be able to get your hands on a compatible RAID controller or you're toast.

I used mdadm RAID for years until I discovered btrfs which has RAID plus a ton of other features. I've been using btrfs now for about 6 years. I'm not going back to any old-fashion file system or RAID again.

Please Read Me

Comment

I second Oshunluvr's opinion, but I've only used Btrfs for about two years. To borrow an airplane metaphor, I like that I can change its wings while I am still flying it! Backup and rollback are a snap. The only caveat I've encountered is that if you install VirtualBox use a static virtual drive, not a dynamic one. There are some interesting and informative threads on Btrfs in this forum by Oshunluvr and some others.

My Btrfs learning process is documented here.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 28, 2016, 07:42 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X