This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue RESOLVED!

Turns out it isn't hardware, OS, or The BIOS.
    My system can easily handle this, and her is how it was resolved:
    Please read all the way to the end of my post, as there's some good tips and info I learned on my journey with this issue!

1.) Install grub-efi-ia32 (supports both MBR AND GPT).

Summary info:
    Code:
     GRUB is a portable, powerful bootloader.  This version of GRUB is based on a
    cleaner design than its predecessors, and provides the following new features:

- Scripting in grub.cfg using BASH-like syntax.
     - Support for modern partition maps such as GPT.
     - Modular generation of grub.cfg via update-grub.  Packages providing GRUB
       add-ons can plug in their own script rules and trigger updates by invoking
       update-grub.

This package contains a version of GRUB that has been built for use with
    EFI-IA32 architecture, such as the one provided by Intel Macs (that is, unless
    a BIOS interface has been activated).
    2.) Optional: Install gptsync a kewl command line tool I liked, so I installed it. Reason: I wasn't sure if I would need it in a problematic situation.

Summary info:

Code:
     gptsync is a utility to maintain an MBR partition table synchronised with
    a GPT partition table used as reference. The resulting MBR partition table
    can contain up to 4 partitions; extended partitions are not supported.

An MBR partition table is required to use legacy bootloaders (lilo, grub) on
    EFI-based (Extensible Firmware Interface) machines like the Intel-based Macs.
    gptsync is usually used in combination with the rEFIt boot menu on such
    machines.
    3.) Installed gdisk for the same reasons as gsync. (handy in a crunch if things go wrong!).

Summary Info:
    Code:
    GPT fdisk (aka gdisk) is a text-mode partitioning
    tool that works on Globally Unique Identifier
    (GUID) Partition Table (GPT) disks, rather than
    on the more common (through 2009)
    Master Boot Record (MBR) partition tables.

Please note that gdisk is still in beta version.
    4.) Installed gparted (for some reason, the KDE partition manager didn't have the option in the devices menu to switch to a GPT partition.
    5.) Opened gparted.
    6.) Clicked on the Devices menu.
    7.) I selected GPT partition for that drive (NOTE: This step MUST be done BEFORE you do anything else, or it will not work!).
    8.) Just to see if it could do it, I created an 8 Terabyte ext4 partition with a label called "Movies".
    9.) SUCCESS!!!

Here's a screen capture of the end result in the partition manager:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8TB_Partition.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	643249

Here's a screen capture of the partition in use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8TB_Partition2.png
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	643250

Some Notes to dispel some of the myths and mysteries:
    1.) I never needed the other optional programs listed above, but they are very handy tools if things go sideways and you need command line tools to help yourself out of any problems that might come up.
    2.) for the record, I'm still booting from my original MBR partition using the grub-efi-ia32 instead of grub-pc, which is what came with my system originally.
    3.) I read this well written and well thought-out post that really helped educate me (I highly recommend anyone who wants to learn more about this topic to read the link below.):

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

4.) Lastly, I want to thank everyone who responded to my post, there were many great thoughts an ideas I gleaned from all of you.
    Last edited by geekydude; Jul 18, 2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Nice work!

4.) Installed gparted (for some reason, the KDE partition manager didn't have the option in the devices menu to switch to a GPT partition.
      ... now that's something I wanted you to do back in Post #2

using the grub-efi-ia32 instead of grub-pc
      I hadn't thought of or ever used the gub-efi-ia32; a new one for me.

Nice ubuntuforums reference. Here's another one (I wrote):
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
      It contains topics different from your link, some overlap, but the important thing is some of my references in that how-to: Importantly, refer to Rod Smith as the current EFI guru on many topics. Most of us learned first from him; then, as is normal for how-to writers, the info get repackaged, applied to specific cases, adapted to distros, added to, experimented with, and so on. Rod was one of the first.

Rod Smith web pages: Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux
      http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/index.html

Again, nice work, and thanks for the excellent write-up and summary which should be helpful for others who drop by here.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X