This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound

I recently had to replace my desktop's motherboard after a power glitch. I got a Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H. I have no sound. I removed and reinstalled pulseaudio, with no change. The mixer shows that the volume is fully on (100%). The output from a aplay shows:
    Code:
    john@john-Desktop:/proc/asound/card0$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    And lspci shows:
    Code:
    john@john-Desktop:/proc/asound/card0$ lspci|grep -i audio
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
    The speakers normally plug in using a stereo line out connection, and the speakers do work on another device, so somehow the built-in Intel audio does not produce sound.

Any thoughts on what to check next? Or a driver that may not be so obvious using Muon?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

I had the same experience some (er, you might say many) years ago; replaced motherboard, no sound. Booting from a live CD gives sound. Despite the efforts of the great guys here, I never got sound to work on that install. That box had some kind of NVidia sound chips, you may have a better experience with the Intel ones.

But, it would be useful to know, so I suggest booting from a 14.04 or 16.04 installer on DVD or USB stick, to see if a live session ("Try Kubuntu") has sound.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm thinking that the move directly from one MB to another without an OS refresh may be the problem. In looking back at the old MB audio chip, the specs say Realtek VIA HD. The specs for the new motherboard say Realtek Intel HD. While the Alsa audio management software sees the new chip, I'm thinking there may be a kernel module that hasn't been replaced/updated. While I'm waiting on 16.04.1, I may just reinstall 14.04.4 and see if that helps. With /home on a separate partition, a reinstall should be easy - it usually is.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

So I recycled the / partition and then refreshed the 14.04.4 setup. Lo and behold, with no other changes except getting caught up again on updates and finding old programs, the sound just came back. The lack of sound was a very deep in the bowels of the OS situation that required the installer find the new sound chip and install the correct modules.

Anyway, all is good again and still waiting for 16.04.1, and it too will be a fresh install on the / partition.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

Working...
        X