X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot from dvd or flashdrive

Here's how my bios is currently set:

It still boots from the ssd. I've tried the 14.04 live disk I just burned, the 12.04 disk I installed the OS on this same computer from (i.e. it booted from the dvd player in the past), and a usb flash drive with 16.04 which I recently used on a different computer build (so the flash drive works). I also tried all the boot order options set for the flash drive.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Last edited by Jeremy_Ray; Jul 12, 2016, 12:55 PM.

I have the same problem. Apparently when I had to change my CPU they put in a non-Intel board (Advance) which does not have the option of booting from a USB, even when it is set as the first boot device. It seems to be a hardware issue.

Comment

My dvd-rom is on the same kind of cable (SATA?) as the hard drives.

My computer WILL boot from the dvd. It did it when the SSD was blank, and I got it to boot from dvd a few minutes ago, after disconnecting the SSD and the other hard drives. However, after reconnecting the SSD, and swapping the SATA cables at the motherboard (hoping that would somehow be important), the computer went back to booting from the SSD first instead of the DVD. No changes to BIOS or anything else.

If the SSD is blank or disconnected, I can boot from the Live CD. It works!

If the SSD is connected and an OS installed, nothing I have tried will get the computer to boot from anything but the SSD.

So it looks like I have to get a new blank SSD if I want to upgrade.

Comment

at the post screen ,,, when you first pess the power on ,,,do you see for a second something like

boot F2
        setup F3

or such ,,,,the Fkeys will be different.

one of my boxes would not just boot what I had set in the bios and had to bring up the boot menu with the Fkey and select the appropriate device their.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          at the post screen ,,, when you first pess the power on ,,,do you see for a second something like

boot F2
          setup F3

or such ,,,,the Fkeys will be different.

one of my boxes would not just boot what I had set in the bios and had to bring up the boot menu with the Fkey and select the appropriate device their.

VINNY
          On this PC it's F12. I've gone through the boot menu several times and tried to get it to boot from "cdrom" (I assume that also means "dvdrom"), but it boots from the SSD anyway. Unplug the SSD though and suddenly the PC can boot from the dvdrom, no problem.

Comment

I'm not sure how good an idea this is over the long term, but I solved the problem by unplugging all the hard drives, booting off the dvd-rom, then plugging the ssd's data cable in. I was able to install 16.04 and so far it doesn't appear as if the computer was damaged.

Comment

Working...
            X