This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get Kontact, esp.Kmail well configured

I have been struggling for some days now with setting up the Kontact suite. A truly wonderful application but two things especially I cannot solve.

1. In Kmail I cannot get the message list pane - i.e. the pane that fills the center of the screen when having the application open and which should show all emails on the server - to show any emails. This is odd as I do know that the email-account has been set up correctly. So where are all my emails? (See screenshot)
    2. At the far left side of Kontact there is a pane wherein are the icons of the various programs that make up Kontact. As can be seen on the screenshot this pane however is too narrow to show the icons of these programs fully, so one can only guess what they are.

I have tried many things to solve these problems but cannot find out how to do this; searching the internet did not result in a solution. Even uninstalling and reinstalling Kontact does not solve the problems. (Which appears to be caused by the amazing fact that uninstalling an application in Kubuntu does leave behind various configuration files - some of which cannot even be removed using the 'purge' command - and which seem to be responsible for recreating any problems the moment the application will be reinstalled.)

What can I do to correct this situation? Or how to find and remove the 'hidden' configuration files in order to be able to execute a truly clean reinstall of Kontact?

I would be most grateful for any suggestions as I am really keen to start using Kontact.
    Attached Files

To adjust the width/size of the panes, just put your mouse cursor on the border 'between' panes and click+hold and drag to the desired size.

Are all the 900+ emails in your Inbox already read? Is Kmail configured (in your setup) to only display unread emails?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is a big on the left pane which is not resizable. Can't locate it but you can temporarily fix it by right clicking on it and switch to icon-only view then switching back.

I don't have a link to the report I saw on it, though.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

The blank email area could be due to the Plasma color scene being used. You can try using a different one to see if they show up properly , or look at kmail's own color settings which can be adjusted separately from the system wide settings

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          To adjust the width/size of the panes, just put your mouse cursor on the border 'between' panes and click+hold and drag to the desired size.

Are all the 900+ emails in your Inbox already read? Is Kmail configured (in your setup) to only display unread emails?

Thanks for these suggestions!
          I've tried to adjust the width of the panes but in the case of the pane to the far left to no avail.
          No, not all the mails have been read, the inbox contains a mix of both read and unread mails. Sadly until now I have been unable to find out how to set filters. That is, I did indeed find a menu for setting up filters but this is so complicated for me that I've left it untouched for now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            There is a big on the left pane which is not resizable. Can't locate it but you can temporarily fix it by right clicking on it and switch to icon-only view then switching back.

I don't have a link to the report I saw on it, though.

Great, thanks! One problem solved for now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              The blank email area could be due to the Plasma color scene being used. You can try using a different one to see if they show up properly , or look at kmail's own color settings which can be adjusted separately from the system wide settings

Thanks too for this suggestion, I tried it but sadly appears not to be the solution: problem remains. By now I have been able to at least represent individual messages in that central pane: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160628_112234.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	643240
              But as I would much prefer to have all my threads represented there I am still curious for a solution. Maybe I should once more try a clean reinstall, the question then being where to find all configuration files for Kontact.

Comment

Working...
              X