This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] X Screen / Plasma Desktop Mismatch

Hello! I have recently installed Kubuntu 16.04 to a new partition (after a failed upgrade from 14.04) and I am going through the distro configuring the basics, and shaking out the bugs (thank you Rog131 for your previous assistance). One cosmetic issue (not directly impacting functionality, but annoying to OCD'ers) is that there seems to be a mismatch between the x-screen and plasma desktop configurations.

My current setup: 3 monitors in portrait rotation using NVidia drivers (361.42 for GeForce GT 730); 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI (using DVI adapter) to three monitors of same make/model (Samsung Syncmaster). The NVidia X-Screen configuration as well as Display and Monitor settings match the rotation and resolution settings.

The Issue: I have two monitors running correctly in portrait displaying a Landscape background (with portrait wallpaper) that overlaps on to the adjacent monitor. If I click into one monitor, the overlap changes on the adjacent monitor as though the background was bringing its focus forward. Oddly, the third (primary) monitor is correctly displaying the background and wallpaper (when focused) unless the center screen is overlapping. So if you can imagine the far left screen with the top 2/3rds, the center monitor with the top 2/3rds and the overlap from the left monitor, and the right monitor with the full screen correct background with the overlap from the center monitor. I can move the mouse into the other 1/3rd areas, but if I right click on in those areas no menu shows up like it does on the 2/3rds areas with the background. I have rebooted multiple times, and once or twice the sizes and screens correctly detected and displayed.. but that was lost on subsequent reboots.

What I've tried: I have tried redefining the x-screen configurations in both the NVidia Configuration as well as the Display and Monitor settings. I have tried rebooting, logging off and on again, as well as selecting single color vs image backgrounds. I've searched the internet for anyone having a similar problem, but it seems that I have an unusual configuration (3x portrait oriented monitors).

Is this a bug, or do any of you have a suggested course of action to remedy this?

Thank You!

Addendum: I have noticed that the lock screen (not logon screen which displays the image correctly but hasn't yet been rotated out of landscape) is the only screen that consistently shows the correct background every time. Each of the 3 monitors shows the image wall-to-wall in the correct orientation without overlap.

Here is a screenshot of the broken desktop:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3x1200x1600_XServer-Plasma_Mismatch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	649121

Here is a screenshot of the locked screen:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3x1200x1600_XServer-Plasma_Locked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	649122

Link to submitted bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364724
    Last edited by AllenWJones; Jun 24, 2016, 03:21 PM. Reason: Added additional information and link to bug
    Thank You!
    Allen W. Jones

Bump..

Some additional information: Now also seeing some displays not having a background, or ability to left/right click but still has the ability to accept a window. Lock and new sessions seem to randomize the effect quite a bit.
    Thank You!
    Allen W. Jones

Comment

Working...
    X