Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update cripples wireless network access and upload access.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update cripples wireless network access and upload access.

I am using Kubuntu 14.04 and have been satisfied with it until the last update - 2 days ago.

The first problem was the update reinstalled Kwallet with a vengeance (why this is forced on users is beyond me). It froze me out of my wireless access to my network on two computers - it seems to have added a password to network connections which I do not know and it took the best part of a day to figure out how to get round it. I eventually solved this by removing the wifi network cards and rebooting the system to purge and then reinstalling the cards after ensuring that Kwallet was disabled and all references to Kwallet under my username were deleted.

My next problem remains unresolved and if I cannot get a fix I will have to abandon Kubuntu as my OS of choice.

The problem is in uploading to the internet. I frequently upload pictures to Photobucket. After the update I found that when I try to upload, although the upload window lists the storage areas in my system, I cannot enter these areas as the buttons appear to be frozen. So I cannot browse to where my data is stored.

The only solution I can think of is to do a fresh install of Kubuntu but as there is no guarantee that this will resolve the problem it would be just as easy to install another another Linux flavour - one which does not have Kwallet. As this is a pretty drastic solution and requires a lot of time and effort I thought to ask here first.

Regards
    Frank

What are you uploading with? Browser or another app?

If a browser, which one? Is the file picker that opens a qt/kde one or gtk?
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

If you are using firefox, there is an issue where the file picker short cuts on the left column don't always work. Sometimes they will work after the first use.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        What are you uploading with? Browser or another app?

If a browser, which one? Is the file picker that opens a qt/kde one or gtk?
        Thanks for replying acheron.

I use Firefox on all my systems. I did install Opera and it did not appear to have this problem. When these problems first arose on the computer I use regularly, I went to the other computer with Kubuntu installed and it was OK but as that computer had not been used for a while I did a Kubuntu update on it and it has gone the same way which is why I concluded that the Kubuntu update was at fault. That computer is in pieces now while I wait for a new motherboard.

I do not understand the terms file picker ,qt/kde or gtk. But as nearly everything running on this computer was downloaded from Kubuntu I guess it is probably all KDE.

Regards
        Frank

Comment

kwallet can be disabled; I personally don't use it. I'm running a much later version of KDE than you are but I believe you can shut off kwallet in system settings.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by langtounlad View Post
            I do not understand the terms file picker ,qt/kde or gtk. But as nearly everything running on this computer was downloaded from Kubuntu I guess it is probably all KDE.
            Firefox is not a native kde/qt application, so it uses a file picker (the dialogue that pops up to help you choose the file you want to upload) that is a GTK one, and not a KDE one.

I have no problem choosing files/images with that here, but I no longer have any trusty 14.04 install to try on.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks acheron.

It struck me after I had posted my reply that perhaps I should try removing Firefox and reinstalling it. This is a lot simpler than a system reinstall.

It is late here so I am off to bed. Will do the reinstall tomorrow and report back.

Regards
              Frank

Comment

Working...
              X