This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Driver management software" in System Settings can't see any hardware

There is not much to tell about this issue other than it gets perpetually stuck at "collecting information about your system" and never shows any nvidia drivers for graphic's card or microcodes for the processor. The "refresh driver list" option remains greyed out as well. The card is an NVIDIA GeForce 920M.

So far, I've only bumped into this problem only on Kubuntu 16.04. Xubuntu Xenial and Ubuntu Gnome Xenial had no issues finding the drivers and installing them.

Known issue mentioned here a few times, as well as reported on launchpad.

No fix yet though, unfortunately. Drivers can still be installed using a package manager or the command-line, though.

Comment

Code:
      ubuntu-drivers list
      in terminal should tell you what is insallable.

then you can manually install your choice with apt/apt-get/muon/other package manager
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I have the same issue, not sure if I need to take any action?

ubuntu-drivers list shows intel-microcode. Synaptic shows that's already installed

But when I open additional drivers (I know it's broken) it shows no propriety drivers in use

So is my driver in use or not?

#confused!

Comment

Try running in terminal

Code:
          sudo apt-get install apt-xapian-index
          sudo update-apt-xapian-index
          and then try the driver manager again?
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            Try running in terminal

Code:
            sudo apt-get install apt-xapian-index
            sudo update-apt-xapian-index
            and then try the driver manager again?
            Nice one, that sorted it!
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mrwaistcoat View Post
              Nice one, that sorted it!
              Cheers
              Great.

There is a fix in the libqapt3 for Yakkety, so that problem is fixed there for anyone installing anew.

Hopefully with the appropriate QA that will be an update for Xenial as well.
              Last edited by acheron; Jul 09, 2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I just installed a fresh kubuntu 16.04 and the driver manager is not working...the xapian solution does not work either.

Comment

The 'xapian solution' doesn't fix the issue with the Driver Manager, which is (was) 'broken'. See posts #2 and #3 below for identifying and installing 'manually'.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 20, 2016, 04:32 PM.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Shaikailash View Post
                    I just installed a fresh kubuntu 16.04 and the driver manager is not working...the xapian solution does not work either.

Odd. It should. After running update-apt-xapian-index on a fresh Xenial re-install I did last week, the driver manager comes to life and works nicely here.

(excuse the dark theme)

Comment

Nope it DOES NOT work at all.
                      Shall I give up and try other distribution?

Comment

Only if you want to. Not all distros have this sort of tool as even without it it is still pretty easy to install them via a package manager

If the command line does not bother you,

Code:
                        sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
                        will show you what devices have non-free drivers available, if any, and which versions you can install, and point out the recommended one

Code:
                        sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
                        will install any recommended non-free drivers, if available

You can also use the information given to install the packages via a package manager.

Comment

Huge thanks.
                          I will give the ultimate try and then inform you about the results. Hope strongly....

PS
                          I do not want to. I rally do appreciate Kubuntu and I have been stil truly impressed by its beauty.
                          If I only could make the Driver Manager work properly...
                          Last edited by ThGeo; Jul 25, 2016, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Done. With no results apparently. I have proceeded with those two commends in Konsole and the system has been hang on for several minutes with the screen full of magic charms beginning with (first or second line) BUG information about Kernel...

Just has rebooted suddenly...
                            Wow, the wifi network is available. This should be a sign that some drivers have been successfully installed.
                            The Driver Manager has been stil empty though.

Thank you very much for your precious piece of advice.
                            Do you think the unfortunate bug (as if there could be some fortunate ones will be fixed soon?

Comment

Hmmm. Just did a fresh install of 16.04.1 and initially the Driver Manager showed nothing. However, after doing the update-apt-xapian-index routine in sudo, it took a moment or two, but Driver Manager shows the correct info - now that I've installed nvidia-340.
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                              X