This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugs in Discover

Hello. I've been testing 16.04 lately with a view to finally upgrade to it since I've stayed loyal to 10.04 all this time. For some reason, I keep stumbling on bugs right out of the box, bugs that aren't there in either Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 or Xubuntu 16.04.

Discover in particular seems pretty buggy. At some point it seemed to forget that it's connected to the internet so it kept failing to fetch titles and screenshots of the programs. That got fixed on its own somehow. Probably the first update.

The persistent problem is that basically, the search function seems to suck. It just can't find anything relevant and even when trying to look up programs listed under Most Popular and Best Rating (shouldn't that be Best Rated anyway?), it still won't find them. I was lucky to find Synaptic on the front page otherwise I'd have to go apt-get it instead. When I tried to use the search feature for Synaptic, VLC media player, Geany, GParted etc. it turned up nothing. When it can find something, it's usually completely irrelevant and it will either only search through plasmoids or will just throw up a very long list of programs (plasmoids and regular progs) that's basically more or less its entire list.

Is this how Discover's behaving for others as well?

I'd like to add the package managers for the xfce and gnome versions too but obviously I can't find them through Discover so easily.

Have you updated your software lists? I can't remember what it's called in Synaptic but IIRC, it's the first button on the tool bar?

[edit]
    I don't like any of the "pretty" software managers like discover; it's been removed from my machines, and prefer to use either apt in the terminal or Muon package manager, which I prefer to to synaptic. If it isn't already installed, then installing apt-xapian-index and restarting synaptic may help with the search results.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by elijathegold; May 29, 2016, 05:02 PM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
      Have you updated your software lists? I can't remember what it's called in Synaptic but IIRC, it's the first button on the tool bar?

[edit]
      I don't like any of the "pretty" software managers like discover; it's been removed from my machines, and prefer to use either apt in the terminal or Muon package manager, which I prefer to to synaptic. If it isn't already installed, then installing apt-xapian-index and restarting synaptic may help with the search results.
      [/edit]
      Yes, everything is updated. One of the things that software managers like discover help with is that you can browse categories of software in the repos more efficiently. It's a much slower and tedious process with synaptic unless you already know what you're looking for.

Comment

Also the ratings and reviews are useful. I thought that Synaptic had categories? Muon package manager certainly does.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Synaptic does have categories. I initially began using Synaptic instead of Discover because I didn't like all the pretty graphics eating up real estate, and Discover didn't discover all the apps that were inn the repository. I checked out Muon and switched to it instead of Synaptic.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah synaptic does have categories but I prefer using it for things like finding restricted drivers, language packages and things like that. It's very useful when I know what I'm looking for or at least when I have a general idea. When I'm just browsing through a category checking if there's anything useful, it's less convenient if you have to download the screenshot for each entry.

Comment

My brief try of discover showed up many similar problems.

Likewise, I stick to more reliable full package managers or apt.

Not sure if affects discover, but for others in terminal

sudo update-apt-xapian-index
              can help resoleve missing things, or missing serach functionalility.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                My brief try of discover showed up many similar problems.

Likewise, I stick to more reliable full package managers or apt.

Not sure if affects discover, but for others in terminal

can help resoleve missing things, or missing serach functionalility.
                Unless some ninja update went in and I didn't notice, this fixed it. Thanks! Now discover seems to work fairly well. Still looks clunky as all hell with text all over the place in some instances but at least the search function seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Very buggy, for me. Search simply doesn't work: searching for 'vlc' returns no results, as does searching for 'chrom' and most other searches I tried. I have the default sources and ran both discover "check for updates", and apt-get update.

Comment

Working...
                  X