X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubu Trusty on an OLD Toshiba lappy.

lol I just HAD to post this!

A) I regularly see announcements at DW to the effect of... that "we are pleased to announce (insert name of distro) ...this distro is for "old computers"...
    B) Kubuntu needs a "pretty good" machine....
    C) How come my speakers don't work on my lappy and why can't I get the monitor to work and yada, yada, yada...

AHEM....................

D) Kubu Trusty is, and has been, running just fine on this old weak lappy...
    E) It does the whole KDE connect thing just fine thank you very much.
    F) When I need to print, from downstairs, to the HP6600 all in one upstairs and diagonally across the room, I plug in a Kingston usb Bluetooth dongle and print.
    G) I have never, as in never, had a problem with Kubu and a monitor or 'phones/speakers, etc. even with a brand new bluetooth Jam speaker dingus .

SAME for ......the Daniel Criag Sony Vaio laptop.... lol I am in SUCH exalted company....."the Bitch is dead!" and slams the laptop Vaio cover down! lol

If I have ever had trouble with "sound' it was always the application not the OS. It took me a LONG time to figure that out!

In fact.....if it wasn't for new applications which were not available during the time of Trusty I would run it as my main OS.

woodjustsayin'smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 21, 2016, 05:36 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I have it running on of these Dell Latitudes but the UK version. It only has an 12" screen so I use the netbook interface which, sadly, is no more in 16.04 or more properly Plasma 5. It runs like a champ, if a little warm sometimes. I'm not sure why they call it lightweight as it's built like a tank. Maybe it was comparatively lighter when it was new.

Calligra, Calibre, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice (no longer installed), Amarok and even Netbeans run on this "obsolete" piece of hardware.Why does the Internet say that Kubuntu is a heavyweight distribution not suited to older hardware? Does a core 2 duo count as old?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I believe that Xerus uses the newer kernel, which no longer supports Pentium and 486 CPUs.
      Does Plasma5 have a larger memory footprint? I haven't checked
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X