X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to upgrade to kubuntu 16.04

hello.
    i am really happy to be here
    i am almost new to linux. i have a kubuntu 14.04 installed on my laptop (as dual boot with windows 7), now i want to update my kubuntu to
    16.04. how can i do that ?
    also mention that i have downloaded iso file of kubuntu 16.04.

i dont want to format / and reinstall 16.04.

please explain in plain English (im not very fluent in English). thank you very much

Hi farhad, and welcome to Kubuntu Forums!

The terminal instructions to do a distribution upgrade are on the first post of this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ght=do-release

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    But, if you read the whole of that thread you might want to re-think doing this. Many of us here think you'd be better off sticking with K14.04 for some time as there are still a lot of problems with the change to Plasma5 in K16.04. I'm sticking with K14.04 as too many things in the new Plasma5 aren't working as well as I'd want for a stable and configurable system. I agree with oshunluvr's post #2 on that thread myself.

You don't need the downloaded ISO of Kubuntu 16.04 to upgrade using the above instructions as the system will download all needed packages separately. Make sure you back up everything important to you prior to doing the distribution upgrade (things can go wrong).
    Last edited by Rod J; May 18, 2016, 05:55 PM. Reason: Expanding answer
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

ya ,,,,,you do not nead the -d option on that
      Code:
      as it's not a dev release but a full release now .........

and I would not do it from 14.04 anyway , you will be going to plasma5 from plasma4 and the potential for quirks will be high .

a clean install with a new /home/you would be best if you must upgrade.

However their is nothing wrong with keeping 14.04 ,,,,,,,,,I still have it as well ,,,,,,,and a few more

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        ya ,,,,,you do not nead the -d option on that
        Code:
        as it's not a dev release but a full release now .........
        VINNY
        Good catch Vinny! I've never actually done an upgrade this way myself so I missed that option wasn't needed. I've always done clean install upgrades till now.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

thank you both.
          i finally decided to install a fresh 16.04 on my system.

Comment

Working...
          X